Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I set the database location for a large number of CR reports? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanegarcia

Programmer
Mar 6, 2001
PH
Hi,

Is there a way for me to set the database location for a large number of CR reports? For example, from a test server to a live server without having to go in and set each one individually? We're talking 200+ reports here...

Alternatively, could you suggest a way for me to do this dynamically? Like reading from a text file (ini file) which would affect a whole bunch of reports?

Thanks and any help would be greatly appreciated....

Shane

About the database location modification,
Change the reports' current Odbc to point to your live database on the report server, which would help you use the same ODBC in your test environment and publish reports to run on your live database on the report servers.

Good-Luck.

CD have a utility which can do bulk updates of reports including things like change the DB location.

Alternatively, I have a table mapping feature in my cView report viewer, and cViewMANAGER report scheduler that changes the DB location at run time.

Editor and Publisher of Crystal Clear

does anyone know if "CrystalWrap" can do this? i have written a report for a friend of mine in another hospital who uses the same scheduling software, but i am wondering if it will work because the last time i did this the other hospital could not seem to get connected to their database with the report i sent. the friend said they would have their I.S. dept look into it, but i have not heard back and am wondering if there is a way to avoid the hassle altogether by changing something within the report before it gets sent to whomever...

[americanflag] ShannonLea [americanflag]

"I keep hitting 'escape' but I'm still here..."

We make a product called .rpt Inspector(TM). The current released version 1.00 (released October 2002) supports doing this (and a lot more across the same report or a batch of reports).

The current released version of 1.00 supports doing this only with ODBC on a batch of reports. However, we are finishing beta testing on 2.00 which now supports batch ODBC, OLE DB, and Native SQL Server, Native Oracle, Native DB2, Native Sybase, and Native Informix. We've had some of our beta users already already use it for 2000+ reports and it took them hours and not months using our new data source / database conversion and migration wizard. See below for info on getting the a beta copy of 2.00

Basically the wizard in 2.00 will guide you through several steps:
1) select reports (either already open reports in the program, or from the file system or both)
2) select the source data source(s) to change
3) select the destination
4) select the actions (or use the automatically best detected)
5) see your results
6) if reports were opened from file system they are automatically saved, otherwise when you return from the wizard, the ones open in the product need to be saved.

That's just one of hundreds of things you can do with .rpt Inspector. It is designed to allow you to edit, audit, and analyze all the different objects and their property values. And it's designed to allow you to do that to a batch of reports. For example, standardize formulas, headers, etc.

On our website is a set of animated quick guides, including.

You can download the existing version for a 30 day free trial.

Our next version is now finishing beta testing.

Here's a little bit of what else the upcoming version does:
o data source / database conversion and migration (we can now do things like... batch set location, batch convert from ODBC to Native Oracle, batch convert from OLE DB to Native SQL Server, etc.)
o spell checker
o search and replace (search for all instances in as many reports as selected for "(c) Acme Corp" and replace with "(c) Whatever You Want" or for table names, formulas, etc...
o report "play" lists (need to modify the same sets of reports all the time? add them to a report list, then with 1 click open them all)
o copy default parameter values from a master and propagate to selected

and a lot more....

Don't know if you had chance to stop by our booth at the 2003 conference for the Crystal Users Group of North America in Vancouver, Canada May 21-23, 2003... We were giving demos and beta copies of 2.00.

You can also sign up to be part of this limited beta program.

Hope that helps.

Software Forces, LLC
makers of .rpt Inspector(TM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back