Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I set protection on a device

Status
Not open for further replies.

caitsdeo

Programmer
May 25, 1999
US
I am installing a CD/RW drive to a NT 4.0 SP3 workstation. How do I set it up so only a selcet group of people can use the device locally and over the domain?

Hello caitsedo,<br><br>I don't know locally, but through a Network you simply have to set the properties of the shared directory (which here is a drive). Default autorisation is everybody can do everything. You have to remove this autorisation and set up our own (as for any NTFS file).<br><br>Hope it helps,<br><br>David Burg,

My bigest concern is that some people will use the CD/RW to copy music CD's. I did find from microsoft Tech Net an article, Q158457, that shows a way to hide any drive from the user. It mentions that it can disable access on a per user basis but doesn't explain how that is done. Anyone got more clues than I do about how to accomplish this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back