Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I scan a tape that is not in media index?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jciarlette

Technical User
Aug 27, 2002
US
I have several tapes in my jukebox that are showing up as "not in media index". I recently updated Networker to 7.4.4. How do I scan the tapes to see what is on them or to get them back into the media index?

scanner -im if need to recover file(s) from the saveset
scanner -m if just want to recover the whole saveset

Remember to configure the pool of the volume. If the volume is labled for a pool that does not exist "scanner" will fail with a appropriate message. When you move clients from one NetWorker to another use the same client id.

Regards
Heiko

Check your mediadatabase !
If mminfo "knows" those tapes you dont need scanner but probably have a problem with nsrlcpd.
1. Update Java on your nmc.
2. restart gstd.
If the problem persists disable cdi.

How do I scan a tape that will not remain in the device I load it in? When I load the tape, Networker gives message that can't be found in media index" and then immediately ejects the tape.

This should not be the case. If your drive is attached to a UNIX host, make sure that you configured a "no rewind" device.

Then i have only one idea: you have an autochanger and you want to MOUNT not LOAD a media. This is not possible because NW does not know it yet.

try the following command :

nsrjb -l -n ...

The -n is to NOT inform Networker that a tape has been mounted, so NW will not try to access this tape.
But you must disable the drive, if you don't do that, NW may access this drive for other operations, thus making out-of-sync between the drive and the drive database of NW.

Then perform the scanner.

At the end, re-enable the drive to dismount the tape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back