Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I save a record using VBA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

asjohnson

Technical User
Mar 8, 2001
US
Does anyone know how I can save a record on the click of a button? The

DoCmd.DoMenuItem acFormBar, acRecordsMenu, acSaveRecord, , acMenuVer70

command produces an error and does not save. I'm looking for alternatives. Please help.

I used to do it this way:

dim rs as object
set rs = db.openrecordset("tablename")
rs.AddNew
rs.field1 = Me![Field1]
rs.field2 = Me![Field2]
rs.update
set rs = nothing

Can someone please confirm whether it is a good way to do it? Also, in DAO, what should I dim rs as? Thx!

--llam

Thanks, but I don't want to go through the Recordset.Edit routine, as there are alot of fields I would have to scroll through to find what changed.

I also tried the DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdSaveRecord, but this command produces an error as well.

Any more ideas out there?

Yeah, I think so too.
However, my access keep complaining about dim-ing db as database and rs as recordset. My solution at the moment is to dim them as objects, and let my access to late binding the correct object type. I thought that I am having this problem because i am just using DAO.

--llam

To asjohnson:
Before I know anything about VBA, I used to open a form at adding new record. So after I finish entering all the information and close the form (or going to the next record), it add the record into the table automatically.

To have more control of it, you may want to add some codes in Forms_BeforeUpdate to make sure that the information that has been entered are input correctly.

I found this method is too buggy, so i would rather to put more time on doing VBA later on.

--llam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back