Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I run my ASP scripts

Status
Not open for further replies.

smash81

Programmer
Mar 12, 2001
KE
I had put this question up earlier but it was very sketchy and so i am putting it up again

I have started learning ASP from books and as such encounter many problems.My problem is that I am using windows 98 and PWS to run my ASP scripts.I have correctly followed all the procedure to run the script that is creating a virtual directory,saving my file in the correct place and executing it in the required way.However,my script does not give any output to me or in some case when I do the same things on some other machine i get a screen saying that i have asked to download a file.I have tried writing a simple scrpt like the one below just to test the working of ASP and it doesn't work.Please read the following.

<%@ Language=VBScript %>
<html>
<head>
<title>Example 1</title>
</head>
<body>
<%
FirstVar = &quot;Hello world!&quot;
%>
<%=FirstVar%>
</body>
</html>
I have to move into hardcore programming but i can not get past the basic and therefore i am stuck.Kindly assist me as i need help in order to move any further.

I would really appreciate if you could be of any kind of help.

Try opening up the pws window, go to the advanced button, select the virtual directory in question, click the 'edit properties', and look at the permissions set on the directory. There are three checkboxes at the bottom of the window. Check all three of them and try again. If it still won't work, please repost, because the code looks fine to me, too.

Paul Prewett

Maybe you did not use localhost or oemcomputer or whatever your computer name is to access your page. ur published pages must NOT be accessed using c:\your\directory\asppage.asp

and make sure that your asp pages are inside the folfer or in its subfolders.

Thank you for the suggestions but i am still having problems
Could it be due to the version of the PWS that i am using.Do all versions of PWS support ASP?
Smash81

Yes, all versions of PWS support ASP. To check if PWS is correctly installed, type one of the following URLs into the address bar of your browser:

or
If PWS is correctly installed, the Welcome to... blah blah :) page should appear in your browser.
Try it out and let me know if it worked! If it doesn't, try to tell exactly what you did installing PWS. Good luck man!

<webguru>iqof188</webguru>

I have tried typing and also all these work fine.It is only the ASP that has some problems.Normal HTML pages can be viewed correctly.To install PWS i used the frontpage CD and I followed the right steps in doing so.ASP just does not work.I am on the verge of giving up!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back