Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I run a repair of IE11?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OfficeAnimal

Technical User
Jun 4, 2009
AU
IE11 is playing up badly. It doesn't like opening or downloading PDFs (I use Foxit Reader), and lately it baulks at doing a Google Search.

I have a feeling that it needs a tune-up.

How can I give it one?

"Truth will sooner come out from error than from confusion."
Francis Bacon (1561-1626)

Try a Microsoft Fixit first: Link

Then you can uninstall it, reboot, do a malware scan to make sure that's not the problem and then do an SFC /SCANNOW to make sure Windows is healthy. Then reinstall IE11. The real fix is to use Firefox or Chrome, of course.

I'd use ADW Cleaner, Junk Removal Tool and ESET Online Scanner to make sure your machine is clean.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Thanks goombawaho

Regarding Firefox and Chrome, I stick with IE11 from preference, although I virtually have to use Firefox at the community college. It seems that IT Personnel all over have a bias against MS (not just IT Personnel [cyclops]) and the website code they produce ignores standards so has problems with IE. Websites I have written comply with HTML conventions, work well on IE and produce weird results in the others. The real fix there is for the software industry to agree on a universal set of international standards and for all to stick to them. Organizing that would be like herding cats! [morning]

As for ADW and the others, I had a badly infected computer a while back and ran those. Somewhere along the line they always seems to throw proprietary software into a spin leaving me with rebuilds and repairs. I am not saying that they don't do their job, but I advise anyone I find trying them to be careful. As they say in Ireland, :He who sups with the Devil should take a long spoon." [cook]

I just ran scannow and got a clean bill of health. I'll sit tight and just hope that Microsoft were having a bad hair day.

Thanks again

"Truth will sooner come out from error than from confusion."
Francis Bacon (1561-1626)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back