Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I restrict VM's routing for toll fraud?

Status
Not open for further replies.

clintf

IS-IT--Management
Feb 1, 2008
CA
Noticed that our voicemail has been hacked and calls are being made thru our voicemail system.

How can i restrict these calls from being made ? Can i setup anything that only allows the routed calls to call certain numbers ? Or can i make it so you cant use the typical 1111 1234 for voicemail codes ?

Remove Line Pool Access from all of your voicemail ports. Change every password in the system (especially the General Delivery and Sysem Manager mailboxes), check trivial password checking, force password change every 30 days. That's for starters.

Also restrict toll free calls to any pay conferencing companies (if they are using them, you will see the calls on your LD bill). If you aren't using dialup carriers, make sure there are none programmed in their either. Make sure you look very closely at users who have the ability to redirect calls too. It is common for an insider to forward their extension to "9" and then access it through the AA. Check for DISA programming.

These hackers know these systems extremely well so go through your programming with a fine tooth comb.

where do i check for DISA programming? sorry

Assuming this is a 4.0 or a BCM50, you will find DISA under Telephony>Dialing Plan>Public Network. If there's something in there and you didn't put it there, get rid of it. While you're at it, check that Public Auto DN too.

If there's something in either field, go to Telephony>Call Security>Class of Service. If there's anything in there that you didn't program, get rid of it too.

Good Luck.

Turn off "outbound transfer" in class of service 1 for all mailboxes (if you are using class of service 1 for all your mailboxes). Turn off this option for Class of service 7 for mailbox 102. This is usually how they get into your system.

Thanks for all the help. Quick question is there a way to setup a restriction on all sets to not be able to call overseas ?

To your overseas problem just create a filter that does not allow users to dial 011* (any) then apply that restriction to one ste then copy to the rest of the sets. I dont remember where that is in element manager though. probaly Configuration/sets/filters or restrictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back