Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I resolve a socket read failed issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

EnochChum

Technical User
Jan 19, 2006
CA
Hi,

I have a windows 2003 server client that I am trying to back up using a HPUX11.11 media server. But when I try the backup I get a socket read failed issue. Does netbackup automatically detect for connectivity to a client or is there somewhere where I can specify the connection details(ie. what login/password would be used to do the backup).

Thanks in advance,
Enoch

Try making sure you can ping the ips and hostnames of the Master, Media, and client from all of them. Also try the bpclntcmd commands to see if NetBackup is having issues communicating.

If there's a firewall in between the Master, Media, and/or client, check to make sure it has been setup properly to allow the NBU ports to go back and forth.

Most socket errors are communications problems.

I set up domain name resolution from master to client and vice versa and now it works fine.

Enoch,
Remember Rusty's advice about bpclientcmd. It is a very powerful troubleshooting tool. Especially since Netbackup relies upon forward and reverse name resolutions. Here is a good tip.

How to verify name resolution for VERITAS NetBackup (tm) systems, using bplcntcmd

Bob Stump
Just because the VERITAS documentation states a certain thing does not make it a fact and that is truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back