Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I remove old device in XP registry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelljack

Technical User
Dec 23, 2001
US
I get an error for my new NIC card even though the old card is no longer in the machine. I want to know how to remove it from the registry. I found a listing in the help search but when I went back to the help screen it was no longer displaying. I did more searches using the same key words but could not get it back. XP is a pain...

I would appreciate any help you can give me.

In the meantime, I am going to see if XP (Xtra Painful), even has the configback program it had in 98.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry I can`t be of much help, but I am running XP too and machine would not boot in any mode. So I put in xp disk and booted from CD and selected "repair exsisting installation" this setup my hardware again....so I ended up with it back to the way it was but XP did note my original configuration and has assigned a #2 to the end of the device that was causing the problem. I wish i could get rid of that #2. So I guess im looking for the same as you nelljack. XP is taking a bit of getting used to for me.

Remove it from the registry??
-You should go into your control panel and choose "system"
-choose "hardware" tab
-click on "device manager"
-right click the device you want to delete and click "uninstall"

Do NOT start mucking around with your registry if you aren't 100% sure what you're doing.

Thanks mistanapesis. I tried to temporarily remove some of the apps in my startup menu and XP kept giving me a screen saying I should go back to a normal boot up. What a pain XP is. I am going to town on the weekend and I am going to buy 98SE and get rid of XP. I think it's too bloated. It also leaves duplicate files all over the place (I have to remove them manually when I find them).

And, I tried to make a rescue/startup diskette (called ERD in XP), and couldn't even get the program to do that either.

I never did the "boot with CD". Are you saying for every device you have there is a number 2 behind it? Duplicates again. Xtra Painful is a good name for XP. I hope we can get some sound advice, but I think I will be rid of my problem by next week.

You can uninstall XP by going into "add/remove programs" and click on "uninstall XP". It'll go back to 98 as long as you didn't upgrade to NTFS... or if you didn't go from FAT to FAT32.

I'm not sure what your problem is. XP kicks 98's behind. I have a feeling you either ignored the upgrade compatibility test or are just plain too stubborn to step into the year 2002. 98 is not as good and going back to it is your loss. You're eventually going to have to learn XP.

Word to the mothership.

PS: You shouldn't delete duplicate files in XP, you're probably erasing the files for the driver rollback feature and side by side dll support.

I thank you all for your replys.

For one, I did not install XP on the machine I bought.
Two, I know how to remove a device "IF IT IS LISTED IN DEVICE MANAGER". The old card is not listed but refernces are being made to it.

3. I am not stubborn. I just do not like windows (3.11 was ok)

4. If I had the money for a real system I would by a UNIX box and kick everybody's behind! I worked with UNIX for 11 years on 10 diff machines and the only time they went down was for hardware or OS upgrades. Then that was intentional. The only other time the Box went down was a five hour power outage and the UPS ran out of juice.

Nt was Never There and XP is close.

The reason I don't like XP is it is filling up my 20GB HDD real fast with all of the duplicate files. Like graphic files I have deleted and emptied the bin I found again in another area.

Back to my original question. I installed a diff NIC card. The old card's settings are still in the settings/registry somewhere. I want to remove those references to the old NIC card which is no longer in the machine. I have done this before (with guidance on how) by removing the lines in the "registry". Maybe XP has no registry (just a new name for it). I have been having a lot of problems with my LAN and figured this has to be the problem.

Call me names if you want, all I asked for is some help. MS has no info on this problem and contacting them is useless unless you want to pay another arm and leg.

Well Unix is certainly more stable than pre-2000 Windows O/Ses. I'm not an agent of Bill Gates' dark army and I'm not purporting Windows was given to us from the gods. It's got many flaws. But XP has a solid kernel and it's very powerful, if you take the time to learn how to use it.

What kind of refrences are being made to the original NIC? XP does have a registry, but it's massive and it's very easy to delete something that will destablize your install.
I've never had the duplicate file problems that you're having so I can't comment on that.

You say if you had the money, you'd get a Unix box.. well why don't you just download Linux then. It's free.

Either that or blank your drive, reinstall XP and get a user's guide. If you're not familiar with Windows products there is a steep learning curve on XP.. just as Linux has for Windows users.

Good Luck.
TK

windows 3.11 was useless completely useless, win XP on the other hand is the best windows yet. (BTW this isnt opinion it is fact) js error; 67 on line; 36 of signature.class

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back