Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I recover my HP Pavilion 4540 using the System Recovery Disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocco408

Programmer
Jun 7, 2004
I've been working on this problem for a couple of hours now and can't seem to get anywhere. I currently have the "System Recovery", "Application Recovery", and Win98 boot floppy. I've tried wiping my disk drive clean and starting fresh, however I'm still running into problems. When I insert the System Recovery disk and reboot the system, everything seems to working fine until midway through the exctaction process a warning screen comes up saying I ran out of disk space.

Go into My Computer and see how much free space you have on the drive you're trying to recover to. Probably C: drive. If you can't see the details, click on View>Details.

Use the boot floppy disk, go into fdisk. Click on "view partitions" and see how they are set up (size). You may have a factory "hidden" partition which had the original "restore" and drivers, using up a large part of the hard drive. Just formatting wouldn't get rid of this partition.

Run scan disk from the boot floppy...it's possible your hard drive has lost a significant amount of clusters and the disk size has shrunk to where you cannot reinstall the OS & apps. If that's the case and scan disk cannot fix the drive, you're stuck buying another one. Even if scan disk fixes it, I wouldn't trust a drive like that. Find out who makes the hard drive and get their diagnotic utility. Good luck!

Thanks for the help everyone, I've solved the problem. I had to do a low level format on the Master Boot Record.

fdisk/mbr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back