Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I Recover from INed Accident in AIX 5.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JGutfreund

Technical User
Jul 26, 2011
CA
The inevitable has happened. I was switching between modes in my application, which required me to drop to TCL mode in Unidata and su to root. At the unix prompt I got into some strange editor and typed a few things trying to exit and ended up killing the session, only to find that my server would no longer respond to telnets, ftps, etc.

Only later, I found, as luckily I still had another station logged in, that the /etc, /bin, and /dev folders had been renamed.

Scouring the internet for assistance I found this thread that explained it.
However, now I need to find a way to recover. I have booted into maintenance mode and mounted the hard drive, with the root folder, /dev/hd4 , at least that's what documentation indicates, but I can't do a list command to see the folders I need and I can't do a mv command to rename the folders.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I've checked with IBM and since the O/S is so old, it's at end of life and not supported without a TTS ( Temporary Transitional Support ) SoW ( statement of work ), which probably equates to about $300 an hour in support.

Regards,
John

cd /
echo *

What do you see? What have /etc /bin and /dev been renamed to?

I'll have to boot into maintenance mode to see what is available, but the renames are as follows:

/dev is now /???dev
/etc is now /?etc
/bin is now /Qbin

You said "I'll have to boot into maintenance mode to see what is available" - has the box booted as usual with the directories in this state? I am surprised. Anyway, you should be able to use full path names for /bin/ls and /bin/mv to fix these names.

No, it was just hanging with LED code 518 initially and then went to 556. I found this document, and it indicated some corruption in the JFS. I followed the document and still no help. No matter what I did, I couldn't get root mounted enough to get to the /usr file system.

I ended up just doing a complete reinstall of the O/S to get the system running again. Back up and running now. I spent more time researching how to fix the issue than it took to rebuild the whole thing, so next time I'll just cut my losses earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back