Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I record tv full program downloads?

Status
Not open for further replies.

raygg

Technical User
Jun 14, 2000
US
Many cable channels offer free downloads of entire programs. Graphics, memory and space are not issues. I am running XP pro sp3 with a broadband connection.

1.Is this tv proram download the same process as when I play a YouTUBE video on the pc? What file type(s) are used for this?

2.What is the terminology to describe this process (webcast, video streaming etc?) so I can talk intelligently about this?

3.When I play such a download to my laptop how can I capture the program so I can record it to a dvd for future personal use and replay? Will Nero 9 or Roxio 2010 do this? Or is there other software to do this?

4.Are there copyright issues even if it is for my own personal use?

5.Is there software that will accelerate the download in the form of a file so it is not necessary to capture it at play speed (is play speed the right term?)?

Note: I am sure these are not new questions but I have been unsuccessful googling for an answer up to now. I don't know that much about graphics but I understand databases very well.

raygg said:
Many cable channels offer free downloads of entire programs. Graphics, memory and space are not issues. I am running XP pro sp3 with a broadband connection.

1.Is this tv proram download the same process as when I play a YouTUBE video on the pc? What file type(s) are used for this?

Well it may be, then again it may not. It depends on how the Website delivers the video to you. Some may offer a player embedded in your site and "stream" the video there. Others may offer the video as a download (not likely, but still possible). It really comes down to how its being presented.

raygg said:
2.What is the terminology to describe this process (webcast, video streaming etc?) so I can talk intelligently about this?

Usually Video Streaming is the accepted term.

raygg said:
3.When I play such a download to my laptop how can I capture the program so I can record it to a dvd for future personal use and replay? Will Nero 9 or Roxio 2010 do this? Or is there other software to do this?
Again, it depends on how its being offered. The usual method is to offer an FLV type of file that plays the video. This can often be converted into a usable Video format such as AVI or MPEG. Nero or Roxio can then take this usable format and transfer it onto a DVD for Playback on your tabletop DVD player.

raygg said:
4.Are there copyright issues even if it is for my own personal use?

Most content is region protected which means it cant be streamed outside of a defined area preciely because of copyright and distribution rights issues.

However if you manage to download it, you may be able to play it anywhere you want to. Which doesn't mean its o.k, but is doubtful someone will be checking your videos to see if they are allowed to be played in your current region.

raygg said:
5.Is there software that will accelerate the download in the form of a file so it is not necessary to capture it at play speed (is play speed the right term?)?
Again that depends on how its being offered. for YouTube videos for instance there are several online services that convert the video on the fly into a downloadable file of a predefined format. Again AVI, MPEG, even Quicktime MOV etc...

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Well it may be, then again it may not. It depends on how the Website delivers the video to you. Some may offer a player embedded in your site and "stream" the video there. Others may offer the video as a download (not likely, but still possible). It really comes down to how its being presented.

----------------------
How do I determine how the video is delivered by the website? Is there monoitoring software that can identify this and then determine a file conversion method? See next.

-----------------------

Again, it depends on how its being offered. The usual method is to offer an FLV type of file that plays the video. This can often be converted into a usable Video format such as AVI or MPEG. Nero or Roxio can then take this usable format and transfer it onto a DVD for Playback on your tabletop DVD player.
-------------------------
"The usual method is to offer an FLV type of file that plays the video. " please translate this. the word 'offers an FLV type of file' does not compute (pardon the pun). I assume you mean there is some software that monitors and then converts or creates a files.

FLV stands for: FLash Video file. This is usually the video format with embedded Video Players like the ones used on Youtube.

Its a type of video format that plays on the website players. This is usually done so that any type of video file can be played without the need of the native format's video player such as Quicktime, or Windows Media Player etc... As long as You have the Flash Plug-in the video will play, regardless of Operating System.

To determine how the video is offered its simply a case of looking at the player that plays it.
If its a special type of player embedded in the Browser its likely an FLV file.

If it opens a new window and you get say the Quicktime Q logo or Windows Media Player App instead then its being offered as a download and you can simply right click the link and download it.

THe Pro version of Quicktime also offers the possibility of Right clicking on the player and saving the video.

Phil AKA Vacunita
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Thank you for the responses. It's very helpful. Been doing some googling and finally found some info.

Is the flash plugin a java product? Is that why it's platform independent?

There is a product called WM Format plus some additional software made by the same outfit. It is $50, but the bundled pkg is $80 and includes a screen scraper video capture where you define a rectangle on the screen and everything in that rectangle gets captured to a file sort of like swagit for videos. The other software captures the video stream file(s).'s others. Another is AV Player and Debut. Debut has a free version and a trial of its full version.

Next is try to get some product reviews or comparisons somewhere.

Re: your unknowns. There are known unknowns and the unk-unks. The unk-unks (unknown unknowns) will kill your success.

Flash is made by Adobe Inc. Unrelated to Sun Microsystems the producers of Java.

Its platform independent because the Player is offered for a number of Operating Systems, and as such has become pretty much the standard to deliver video content to users.

I'm not familiar with WM Format, but I wouldn't spend $50 when there's likely a free alternative to be had. CamStudio comes to mind.

Phil AKA Vacunita

I downloaded CamStudio - which is free- but the resolution when recording full screen is not that good.

You're standing on difficult ground here, you aren't supposed to be recording the screen (ie screen capture) of these programs, they are downloaded to your pc for personal and usually timed use. Those programs you are allowed to keep would normally just allow you to download them straight away anyway.

Simon

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back