Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I rebuild raid5 on digital unix 4.0E?

Status
Not open for further replies.

meinnm

IS-IT--Management
Mar 1, 2005
US

I lost three of disks on my raid set and installed three new ones. Configured them and did a reinitialize. I can not mount them because it says the fileset does not contain a valid ADVFS file system. Did I miss a step? How do I rebuild after I reinitialize? Any help is appreciated!

Hi meinnm,

"I lost three of disks on my raid set and installed three new ones."
You don't say whether they were in the same raid set (0,1, or 5 or ?) or not. Have you now lost the 'integrity' of the raid set?

"Configured them and did a reinitialize."
You don't say how - please be more specific. Was it from the 'hardware controller' or was it by using UNIX commands?

Regards.

Mike

I did it via the swxrmgr. Your help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

I have swxcrmgr (for Raid Array 200 Management) on a UNIX v4.0F system, but the GUI doesn't have configure or reinitialize options.
In what state is the raid set now?

Regards.

Mike

It has been defined and a hotspare established then the reinitialize was completed and I rebooted. It will not mount the raid set so I can do a restore. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Hi meinnm,

I am still not clear on precisely how extensive the 'damage' is to one or more of your raid sets. In your original post you said "I lost three of disks on my raid set and installed three new ones.". How many raid sets are involved? What type are they? (ie are they mirrors, stripes, striped mirrors or RAID5, etc?) How many 'hot spares' did you have? Did you install the three new ones all at the same time or over a period of time (following individual disk failures)?
Answering these questions will (hopefully) enable me to ascertain whether your data is still present on the disks in an accessible/retrievable form or whether the 'integrity' of the raid set(s) has been compromised (thus requiring a complete rebuild and the data restored from backup). I don't know what state the disks are in, so I don't want to recommend a course of action which might un-necessarily reformat your disks, thus losing all the data.

I hope that makes sense.

Regards.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back