Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I "de-activate" the mouse/cursor from auto opening/closing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bizzieg

Technical User
Oct 16, 2002
US
How do I "de-activate" the mouse/cursor from opening/closing documents/programs when it "hovers" over them? I have a laptop, using the mouse touch-pad, running WIN2K Pro. I've also installed Tweak UI, de-selected activation AND auto raise, but the mouse still auto opens/closes things that it hovers over, when I don't want it to. Please help. I've done an exhaustive search and can not find anything that addresses this specific issue. Thx in advance for your help :)

bizzieg

damn touchpad. I hate those.
have you checked your double click speed in your mouse properties? it may be the root of the problem.

hope this helps. Information is free....dont hog it!

Are you posting about the single-click or double-click option?

Single being, hover and it's selected, then click once. double being, hover and nothing. click once to select, doubleclick to open.

If you want to adjust this option then open 'My Computer' then click on the 'Tools' menu. Select the 'Folder Options' menu item.

It will popup a dialog box titled 'Folder Options'. It will have four tabs in it. You'll want the 'General' tab. At the bottom is an area called 'Click items as follows'.

Select the mode which you wish to use, being either, 'Single-click to open an item' or 'Double-click to open an item'. Select either underline option if you want single-click, then click on the 'OK' button. You can also just click on the 'Apply' button to make the changes without closing the box, so you can try both of them quickly (back and forth) to see which you like more.

Hope this helps!

Mike

Thanks for both your replies. My set-up was already set to what you suggested, so no problem there. What I finally did was to check for and updated my mouse driver. I also went to the WIN 2000 site and applied a "non-critical" update that was not previously installed on this laptop. Don't know what did the trick, but now it seems to be working fine....for now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back