Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I "break" apart a pivot table into its original data list?

Status
Not open for further replies.

squirtguns

Technical User
Feb 18, 2000
US
How do I "break" apart a pivot table into its original data list?

I was sent a pivot table. I would like to get rid of the pivot table and just have the raw data that the pivot table is presenting on a regular excel worksheet. Can I do this?

Thanks!

I must assume that you have available the results of the pivot table, and not the original data. Can you ask the originator for the raw data?

A pivot table is a view of data and may include calculations. There isn't a way to break this apart into the original raw data. You may be able to take what you have and create raw data from it, but that's close to a manual process. How you would go about doing that depends upon what you have to start.

You would likely need to know about the Transpose checkbox in the Edit > Paste menu. This allows you to paste a row as a column or a column as a row. Be sure to select a specific range of data and not the entire row or column or you will get an error.

Double clicking the values will create a new sheet with the data on it. Try it for the total.
Not sure if it will give you what you want, but it will give you something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back