Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I "add a web reference" in a ASP.NET app?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sapbucket

Programmer
Jun 30, 2002
US
?*
sorry about format of this post - it is an email i sent to an expert:
*/
Q2: I just went throught lesson 4002 - Walkthrough: Consuming a Web Service and I came to an impasse. Why is it that I can't "Add a Web Reference..." ? I type in " a simple fahrenheit to celsius conversion service that is the example given in "Visual Studio.Net Walkthroughs," the book that came with VS.NET Pro, into the "Add Web Reference" Address line and I get this:
(I am using VB Web Application as the app to reference the web service):

left pane:
<?xml version=&quot;1.0&quot; encoding=&quot;utf-8&quot; ?>
- <dynamicDiscovery xmlns=&quot;urn:schemas-dynamicdiscovery:disco.2000-03-17&quot;>
<exclude path=&quot;_vti_cnf&quot; />
<exclude path=&quot;_vti_pvt&quot; />
<exclude path=&quot;_vti_log&quot; />
<exclude path=&quot;_vti_script&quot; />
<exclude path=&quot;_vti_txt&quot; />
<exclude path=&quot;Web References&quot; />
</dynamicDiscovery>

top right pane:
Web Services

(none)
No Web References were found on this page.
Click for help on finding a Web Reference.

bottom right pane:

The proxy settings on this computer are not configured correctly for web discovery.
Click for additional help on proxy settings.
----------------------------------

When I looked up the problem using google and microsoft help I realized that Microsoft's advice:

To specify a proxy server for Internet Explorer

From the Tools menu, choose Options and on the Web Browser page, choose Internet Options button.
In the Internet Properties dialog box, choose LAN Settings on the Connections tab.
In the Proxy server area, select Use a proxy server for your LAN.
Specify and the address and port number that matches your network.
From the File menu, choose Exit and then re-open Visual Studio.

doesnt help too much. You see, I have a DSL broadband service with a DSL router/WAP. There is no fixed IP for my IP (called dynamic ...). Anyway, I would really like to move along but am stuck for now. Let me know if you can help or if there is a corresponding video for my question.
I am using IE 7 IIS Win XP Pro and SQL Server 2000, I have VS.NET Pro and prefer VB.

Thanks!
Tom

The solution to configure your proxy from Microsoft should work, because your localmachine always has one static IP. 127.0.0.1 (localhost).
An other solution is not to use a vdisco-file to identify a webservice, but the wsdl-file. I always use the wsdl file to specify my webservices and never had a problem (without proxy).

Hope this helps,

Arjan Meskers

OK,

thanks for the help. If anyone else has a problem like this I advise that you do not use the disco file and use the .asmx file as the reference.

The problem with the proxy is that the DSL router box has a firewall that is setup to not allow http on port 80. Somehow you have to enable port 80 for the HTTP, but I couldnt figure it out. Let me know if you do!

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back