Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I quit firmly and gracefully

Status
Not open for further replies.

vegas100

Technical User
Oct 15, 2008
US
I was offered an internship from the IT school I attend, it was going the opposite way (creative side) than I am going, MCSA/CISCO . But I only have 4 more months and this was the only internship available. So I figured I could use it for resume building.
I spent the wkend studying Publishers and came out with a couple of newsletters and business card to put in a folder to take in with me, I pretty much had it, the only one available, but I wanted to know what I was doing, they were amazed the director of the school was amazed.
Anyway a schedule of 3 days the following week, this was Friday..I would work Tues, Wed, and Thurs. I provided my address, email address, phone number to the person, before I left.
Monday, they had contacted the school sec and had her email me to call them immediately..I did..was told that they decided they had some things they needed to get done at home and were going to stay home this week and I could come over to their house and do the work if I wanted. I was quite shocked, because they had mentioned me hooking up their computer at their home, anyway they had it hooked up over the wkend. I said ok, not wanting to make waves and they said well, I won't need you Tues and I will call you @ 3pm on Tues to let you know for Wed. I had said well, please leave a message and whatever you decide I will go along with it, so I waited Tues, then went to church @6:15 and they called while I was gone, the director of the school was there also,(they used to work at the school together till it became too stressful of a job for my potential intern employer and they went elsewhere, so they are friends)left a message saying they did not want to leave a message but they had a whole new idea for me.
By this time I do not feel I can count on this person to keep their word, and I have a tight schedule due to still attending classes, and it is going down the wrong path for me, and I kinda feel like the new 'boss' is a flake. So I turned down the Intership and now I am being badgered by the 'boss' and the director of the school to do it anyway.
I have already mentioned unprofessionalism and I am sure when thought over will not set well, but they introduced me to several depts, that I would be doing the newsletter and showed several the 'dummy newsletters' I made up.
QUESTION: How do I tell them gracefully I DO NOT WANT THE INTERNSHIP without burning any more bridges? I do not want to work out of their home, and they mentioned today, you have to get used to working at different sites.

I would recommend taking the time to sit down, write, read, revise, re-read, etc. a formal letter. I would state that at this time, your personal time commitments to school, church, and others are not compatible with their needs. I would apologize for the inconvenience and misunderstanding (even if it's not necessarily your fault, swallowing a little pride and apologizing can help reduce tension).

It's standard to give them 2 weeks notice along with a written resignation, and I don't see a good reason to deny them this courtesy. However, I would provide a firm date after which you are not available.

I'm sure there's a lot you'd like to say about how it's their fault, but I find it's better to just let that go.

Good luck to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back