Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I push Anti-virus, Microsoft patches?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iluvsushi

Technical User
Jan 26, 2007
US
Hi all,
I was wondering how can I push software patches, i.e anti-virus, Windows, ...etc through the use of active directory. I tried through group policy but it only allows me to push .msi files. What if i wanted to push ANY non microsoft software or patches?
Thanks!

You use WSUS to push the MS Updates. The antivirus package should have it's own delivery method.

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.
The poster formerly known as lander215

You also can create administrative install by running setup with /a switch. You only need to make sure you've placed your administrative install point folder one step under the shared folder. There are also third-party tools that can do that. We use Desktop Authority right for that similar task. We deliver user software updates with it. Because each single department has its own set of software we need to create rules that distribute assigned updates to dedicated department. It aslo supports WSUS natively so there are no problems with getting updates for MS products too.

What we have right now is an isolated network that is not able to access the web or anyone other than the workstations, Domain Controller and WSUS. How do I get WSUS to send updates to the workstations if WSUS can't get to the web? Can I just download the updates to USB stick back to the WSUS server? Would it be that simple?
Thanks.

I guess you can use something like WSUSutil with movecontent command to set the local storage for updates. Additional info on this is available here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back