Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I publish my webpage on search engines? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

pahjo

Programmer
Dec 27, 2000
US
I am doing my first website and I need to find out how to get my webpage on search engines. Have any ideas? Thank you for your time.

Pahjo

You can either pay for it or do it yourself. Make sure you have good mete tags with accurate keywords and a good description of 35 words or less.

Do a lookup in for free search engine submission. You will find a ton of them and just start submitting. Once you submit, most search engines have spiders or crawlers that go out and search these submitted sites for keywords and such that help them categorize your site on their directory.

This could take anywhere from a week to 6 months before you actually see it... depends on the search engine. Ya' Gotta Love It!
sleepyangelsBW.jpg

Pahjo,
Do you mean "how do I get as a high a ranking as possible?" or "how do I actually tell them about my site?"

Once we find out this we can help more.

Joe Bananas
An independent guide to Perth, Scotland

hi peoples,

which are the top search engines to register with?
and do these cost money to register with?
Kitten ^_-

Here is a site that will allow you to submit to over 40 of the top engines for free...

I have used them several times and have been quite satisfied. You need to make sure you have good meta tag keywords(but not too many), good descriptions, and good descriptive titles.

There are many more as I mentioned above...just do a quick search on google and you will find more than you could ever use in a lifetime. Ya' Gotta Love It!
sleepyangelsBW.jpg

I've posted a question in the General e-Business forum thread84-119678 concerning the advisability of paying to be listed by Yahoo; since this forum gets a lot more traffic, I'm "soft" cross-posting here in case anyone here has an opinion on the issue (the issue of Yahoo, not cross-posting). Robert Bradley

Hey TulsaJeff,

I have located the meta tag in my code but really dont know how to add the keywords any help would be appreciated.
below is my meta tag

<meta http-equiv=&quot;Content-Type&quot; content=&quot;text/html; charset=iso-8859-1&quot;>

What do i do now just add key words whithin the tag?

Thanks for your help
FZ x-)

FreddieZed,
Leave that tag just as it is, it's not the right one. You need a tag like this:
<META NAME=&quot;keywords&quot; content=&quot;keyword,keyword,keyword,etc&quot;>

Here is my home page's as an example:
<META NAME=&quot;keywords&quot; content=&quot;Perth,Scotland,Perth pub guide,what's on,eating out,tourist guide,history of the Fair City&quot;>

A key&quot;word&quot; can actually be a phrase such as &quot;rare history books&quot; and it is really better to use phrases rather than just list single words.

You also must include your chosen keywords/phrases in your Title tag (very important) and in the body copy of your page otherwise you won't benefit.

Also add (if you don't have one already) a Meta Description tag: (example)
<META NAME=&quot;description&quot; content=&quot;The Real Perth guide to Perth, Scotland with what's on, Perth pub guide, history of the Fair City, tourist guide, eating out and more!&quot;>
One or two sentences (preferably with your keywords)that succinctly describe the content of your site. This tag is used by some engines and would be displayed on the results page of a search.

Ideally, you could post here the URL of the site you are trying to optimize so we can take a look and give some targetted advice.

The main thing I want to stress is add plenty of good copy to a page including your keywords, and the Title tag is very important. The Meta Keywords and Description are not the magic answer to high rankings. Joe Bananas
An independent guide to Perth, Scotland

Hey Bananas

Ty you very much for your help. Below is the url to my beta site.it is on a free hosting site at the moment but it will go to its final destination upon fixing these meta tags for the engin's

just skip the intro to view the page i want listed with the searches

If u would like you can send a copy of my code (altered of course to see what i have to do) to epruittiii@home.com unless we would like to let other tek-tip users also see the finished code for their reference.

Thanks again for your help,
FZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back