Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I print a real number using GNU gfortran

rdflg

Instructor
Aug 21, 2024
Hi,
I am new to Fortran...but not programming. Why won't this program work? I can print integers but not reals.

PROGRAM print_real
IMPLICIT NONE
REAL :: x
x=3.14
PRINT *,x
END PROGRAM print_real

It compiles fine with gfortran (v12.3.0) but when run gives the following...

"Program received signal SIGILL: Illegal instruction.
Backtrace for this error."

The above program runs using a Fortran77 compiler, though. I installed gcc-12.3.0-32.exe and am running Windows Vista on a 32-bit machine.
I've downloaded kindfinder.F90, and have tried all sorts of KINDs (2,4,8,16) and different precisions and ranges (using SELECTED_REAL_KIND).
I BET the solution is blindingly simple. MANY thanks.

Rdflg

Is that version compatible with your 32 bit machine? You may have installed the 64 bit version.

Hi rdflg,

I tried what you posted and it works for me:

rdflg.f95
Code:
PROGRAM print_real
  IMPLICIT NONE
  REAL :: x
  x=3.14
  PRINT *,x
END PROGRAM print_real

I compiled it with gfortran and it runs without error:
Code:
$ gfortran rdflg.f95 -o rdflg
$ ./rdflg

I have this gfortran version on Linux
Code:
$ gfortran --version
GNU Fortran (Ubuntu 9.4.0-1ubuntu1~20.04.2) 9.4.0
Copyright (C) 2019 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Maybe something is wrong with your gfortran compiler installation

Is that version compatible with your 32 bit machine? You may have installed the 64 bit version.
Hi,
Could I sincerely thank ALL of you who replied - it would take too long to thank everyone individually - for your useful suggestions. I never did find the problem, but suspect, as some people suggested, it was a compiler problem. So, I gave up with the GNU gfortran compiler and found an old copy of obsolete Silverfrost Fortran (version 7 - the latest version is probably version 157 now!) on the interent, which solved the problem. Running an ancient copy of Windows Vista, probably meant I was on a hiding to nothing right from the beginning. Hey ho. Live and learn?

Thanks again, guys (and guyesses!)

Simon (AKA rdflg)

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back