Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I prevent my external USB Disks from going into sleep Mode? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

1Scoot

Technical User
Oct 29, 2007
CA
I have 3 Western Digital external USB Drives, that goes into sleep mode after a few minutes of inactivity. I set my PC "power and Sleep" to "Never" mode, but it did'nt solve my issue.
Any help is appreciated!
Michelle

WD6400AAV and (2) WD1230
Windows 10

Try going into Device Manager and click on each disk under "Disk Drives" and choose the Power Management tab and uncheck the box "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". There may not be a setting under the disk drives. Regardless, do it for all the USB devices (controllers) listed under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" in Device Manager.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

I was able to uncheck the boxes "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" on most that were listed. I rebooted but my disks sill went into sleep mode after a few minutes of inactivity. Thanks for responding!

If you would have gone to Western Digital FAQ about their external drives, you would have seen.

Most WD external hard drives will spin down (enter into power saver mode) after 10 minutes of drive inactivity. Once the drive is accessed again, the drive will exit from the power saver mode and spin back up.
Note:
This is a permanent feature of most of our external hard drives and cannot be disabled. WD externals that include WD SmartWare 1.6.X can use the software to change and/or disable this feature.

Interesting. I would think the default would be to NOT spin down automatically.

Thank you both for responding!

Somebody gave me a star for my post, but it really didn't apply to this case. So, rclarke250 deserves the star.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back