Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I prevent duplicate entries when data is inputed into a table 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

maryblu

Technical User
Aug 7, 2001
US
I have a table in access that is fed directly from a system. the fields in the table refer to cases opened, worked, and then closed in this particular system. Each case has a specific number that is unique to the case but that case can be opened more than once and the case number stays the same. Each time the case is opened in our SSD system it is logged. When that information is fed into Access each time the case is touched (opened)it is counted. I have to query the information and do reports for individuals but I only want the one time this case is opened & closed to be in the numbers in the report. In SSD you can run a report and the number of times a case appears is only counted once so that information is correct. So how do I write the criteria to have access only count the case once even though it may be touched 3 or 4 times?

You'll find what you need in the Help Index under Distinct predicate.

Dave

Also .. If your running a report look at using the GroupBy and Count functions. Ashley L Rickards
SQL DBA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back