Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I password protect a file?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HFChristie

Programmer
Oct 25, 2002
US
How can I password protect an individual file on my hard drive? I want to lock it so when I put a link to it on a web page, only those with the password can open it.

Thanks

So many questions here regarding the security of your PC if you do this. It all depends on how your computer is accessed via the Internet. Is your computer acting as a web server? What is the file, i.e. word document, exe file etc.. Do you want the user to have to enter a password before downloading the file or just so they can open it?

Greg Palmer
Free Software for Adminstrators

It'd be great if I could password protect the download itself, but locking the file would work

Sorry I didn't respond sooner. For some reason, Tek-Tips can't contact my email anymore.

THanks

Hi,
Ok if you want people to have to enter a password before they can get access to the file then let us know how you are allowing people access to your PC. ie Webserver(if so which one), direct access using IP address, via some other means?

Greg Palmer
Free Software for Adminstrators

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back