Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I pass an integer in the sql stmt of Adodc RecordSource?

Status
Not open for further replies.

michellecole

Programmer
Feb 12, 2004
US
I am working with an Adodc in VB with Access as the Back End. There is an ODBC Driver called "BranchErrors".

Here are the settings on the adodc1.property page:

CommandType = 8 - adCmdUnknown
ConnectionString = DSN=BranchErrors
CursorLocations = 3 - adUseClient
CursorType = 2 - adOpenDynamic
RecordSource = **This is where I need help

When I set the Adodc1.RecordSource property with SQL, how do I pass a long integer in the sql statement. If I replace the lngTrayID with a number in the sql statement, all is good - but I need to pass it as a variable. How do I pass a variable containing a number.

On the property page for the adodc I've tried the following sql statments in the RecordSource property:

1)
SELECT * FROM tblDocPrep_BatchScan
WHERE tblDocPrep_BatchScan.IsRecActive = 'Yes' AND tblDocPrep_BatchScan.TrayID = & lngTrayID ORDER BY tblDocPrep_BatchScan.Time;

and get the following Error Message:
[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Syntax Error (missing operator) in query expression 'tblDocPrep_BatchScan.IsRecActive = 'Yes' AND tblDocPrep_BatchScan.TrayID = & lngTrayID'.

2)
WHERE tblDocPrep_BatchScan.IsRecActive = 'Yes' AND tblDocPrep_BatchScan.TrayID = & lngTrayID & ORDER BY tblDocPrep_BatchScan.Time;

Error Message:
[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Syntax Error (missing operator) in query expression 'tblDocPrep_BatchScan.IsRecActive = 'Yes' AND tblDocPrep_BatchScan.TrayID = & lngTrayID &'.

3)
WHERE tblDocPrep_BatchScan.IsRecActive = 'Yes' AND tblDocPrep_BatchScan.TrayID = lngTrayID ORDER BY tblDocPrep_BatchScan.Time;

Error Message:
[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Too few parameters. Expected 1.

Maybe I have the other property settings not set correctly?

Thank you to the sql guru,
Michelle

You will have to set the ADODC's RecordSource property in your VB code to be able to pass a variable's contents in with your SQL. Try this:

ADODC1.RecordSource="SELECT * FROM tblDocPrep_BatchScan
WHERE tblDocPrep_BatchScan.IsRecActive = 'Yes' AND tblDocPrep_BatchScan.TrayID = [red]" & lngTrayID & "[/red] ORDER BY tblDocPrep_BatchScan.Time"

ADODC1.Refresh

This will include the current value of lngTrayID in the SQL code.

I used to rock and roll every night and party every day. Then it was every other day. Now I'm lucky if I can find 30 minutes a week in which to get funky. - Homer Simpson

I usually prepare my SQL statement as a string so it can be easily checked:
Code:
strSQL="SELECT * FROM tblDocPrep_BatchScan
WHERE tblDocPrep_BatchScan.IsRecActive = 'Yes' AND tblDocPrep_BatchScan.TrayID = " & lngTrayID  & " ORDER BY tblDocPrep_BatchScan.Time"
'  Debug.Print strSQL
ADODC1.RecordSource=strSQL
ADODC1.Refresh

You can usually spot the problem directly with the Debug statement (REM removed of course!)

Thank you for the feedback. I think the lesson I've learned (from other sources as well) is to limit my use of the adodc control. I usually access the databases with ado with sql in the code - but wanted to allow the user to easily scroll through records on a particular form thus the adodc control. I am using the adodc control - but placed the recordsource sql in code as you suggested and all is good again!

Thank you,
Michelle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back