Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I obtain VTOC information using REXX?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DriverMan

Programmer
Dec 28, 2000
GB
Running on an OS/390 machine I am trying to develop a REXX that will list the free space on a volume name specified by the user.

How do I obtain this information?

Cheers,
DriverMan

Not sure if it can be done without writing a program. We have such a program (but can't find the source) which lists the dasd free space on all volumes. We interface it with a rexx exec which displays the data on our screen. We use it for looking for a dasd with enough space for our installs. The LISTDSI instruction has many options but all seem to be related to a specific dataset rather than a volume. Also the MVSVAR when combined with OUTTRAP or GETMSG can be useful. Check the os390 tso/e rexx reference manual for more information. Sorry couldn't offer examples.

PhiloVance
Other hobbies, interests: Travel, Model RR (HO Gauge), Genealogy.

Mm! I came to the same conclusion that there is nothing within LISTDSI that provides the information I need. But I would not have thought it would be too difficult - how does the option to display a VTOC summary in ISPF 3.4 work? This returns the details very quickly indeed, the question is what system functions is it using?

Any ideas...

Cheers,
DriverMan

One idea would be to check the source panels and exec's within ISPF and see how they do it. Even if it's an IBM program, if you can provide the input and then get the already written program to do the work, who's the wiser. I've done this myself in using IBM functions to perform a selected task (in this case compare two datasets) with just setting up the panel/program and providing the input. If you're even mediocre at reading panels, like me, it's not too hard.

Good luck.

PhiloVance

We are at OS390 2.6. I found the library ISP.SISPPENU contains both panels ISRUDLP, for 3.4 and ISRUDSLV for displaying VTOC information.

By going thru the logic of the panels you can find what program is being used, then pass the params to that program and trap the result. You can do it on a panel of your own making (or use IBM'S) or whatever.

Good Luck!

PV :)

PhiloVance

If you haven't already got an answer for this, the IEHLIST
utility works at a volume level.
Here's a job in batch.

//IEHLIST EXEC PGM=IEHLIST
//*
//SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=*
//*
//DD01 DD UNIT=DISK,VOLUME=SER=P93000,
// DISP=OLD,SPACE=(TRK,0)
//SYSIN DD *
LISTVTOC VOL=DISK=P93000

Try running this (in foreground) by allocating the output to a sysprint dataset. Once the utiltity is done, the last 4 lines of the report (you can see it by running this JCL) will contain a summary.

Eg.
THERE ARE 3424 EMPTY CYLINDERS PLUS 50 EMPTY TRACKS ON THIS VOLUME
THERE ARE 24989 BLANK DSCBS IN THE VTOC ON THIS VOLUME
THERE ARE 447 UNALLOCATED VIRS IN THE INDEX
******************************** BOTTOM OF DATA ********************************

Regards, Craig.
cspn@globalnet.co.uk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back