Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I Network between two buidings??

Status
Not open for further replies.

beaver2

Programmer
Apr 18, 2000
CA
I currently have a network set up as follows;
- 4 PCS
- Peer to Peer network using the standard Microsoft sofware.
- Pcs have Windows 95 and 98 on them.
- All Pcs's have 3 com Nic cards in them
- Connected to a 3Com switch.
- Connection is via RJ45 cables.
This system has been up and operating for about 3 years.

I want to obtain another PC and install it in another buiding that is approximently 1/2 mile away from the main one. The two building are not on the same site. They both have telephone lines running into them.

What suggestions do you have on how to connect the new PC in the seperate building to the existing network? What hardware and software ?

If you have telephone lines running between the buildings, you could use SDSL modems in a back to back configurations. We use the Elastic Networks Elite modems (Elastic Networks was bought by Paradyne).

We also use the Netopia R7100 router in a back to back configuration.

Some of the other manufacturers are Pairgain (expensive) Net2Net technologies and Tut Systems (if you own your own copper).

We have a half dozen of these links running with our longest running close to three miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back