Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I move source code for VB.NET

Status
Not open for further replies.

ribbons

Technical User
Apr 26, 2007
US
Hi all,

I suspect this is going to be a stupid question, but how do I move the source code created in VB.NET VS 2005 from one location to another? When I just copy the folder of an application to another location, I get a security error. I read a thread on here some time ago that VB.NET creates a secure folder when an application is created and it is not wise to move the app to another folder. However, in this case, a new programmer is coming in to take over this work and the source code must be moved from my desktop to the server. Sorry, for asking, but I couldn't find any info in any book about this.

You just move the code. Depending on what you are doing you may get reference path errors. I pull down source code from our Visual Source Safe box all the time.

You may be getting an error if you are trying to develop straight off the server (More headaches than it's worth)

If you have a shop with more than 1 dev, and sometimes even when you only have 1 dev, you should have some form of source control (version tracking).

There are free source control packages out there.

Some source control packages are:
Visual Source Safe
Subversion
TortiseSVPN (??)

-Sometimes the answer to your question is the hack that works

TortoiseSVN is an add-on for Subversion which lets you do source-control tasks from the Windows Explorer (nice).

A good book to have is:

It's not specific to any particular SCM product -- it just talks about overall best practices.

Chip H.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back