Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I move from one frameset to another using <a href> ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JGKWORK

IS-IT--Management
Apr 1, 2003
GB
Hi,

Basically i have 2 framsets, each frameset has the same frames set-up but different pages within those frames.

Can someone please tell me how to move directly from one frameset to another using the <a href> tag(s). I want to stay within the same window so I don't want to use target=Top.

Thank you VERY much!

Thanks but I have tried that but it keeps opening in a seperate window any ideas how to get it to open in the same window?

Hi. hmmm... if you've defined your frameset and frame name then that should work.

Example - left.html includes href link to open a page in the right frame such as:
<a href=&quot;new.html&quot; target=&quot;right&quot;>NEW_PAGE</a>

How about you post your frameset definition. I'm sure it'll be clearer if we base answers on that.

Jeff

Thanks, I'll post my frameset etc tonight as I have just contracted a really annoying virus and my pc's about to collapse, so I'm formatting today!

I have managed to do this with javascript but people in the work are having difficulties because they have IE 5.0.

Thanks again.

JGKWORK,

The key to doing this is that you must name your frames in your frame definition. You can then reference one frame from another by using it's name. Ex:

frameset.html
Code:
<html>
<head>
<title>Untitled</title>
</head>
<frameset cols=&quot;25%,75%&quot;>
    <frame src=&quot;navigate.html&quot;
Code:
name=&quot;leftFrame&quot;
Code:
>
    <frame src=&quot;home.html&quot;
Code:
name=&quot;mainFrame&quot;
Code:
>
</frameset>
</html>[code]

Then, in [b]navigate.html[/b] (leftFrame) you can reference [b]mainFrame[/b] in a hyperlink like this:
[code]<a href=&quot;foobar.html&quot; target=&quot;mainFrame&quot;>Foo Bar</a>

Hope this helps,
-Ron

We all play from the same deck of cards, it's how we play the hand we are dealt which makes us who we are. -Me

murof siht edisni kcuts m'I - PLEH

That did the trick, don't know what I was trying to do before!

Thanks all..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back