Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I move contents of 440 excel files, to one spreadsheet

Status
Not open for further replies.

kieso

Technical User
Jan 29, 2003
US
Over the past year we've created 440 reviews - each review is documented in a seperate excel file. Each review covers 20 to 25 different tests, Column A is in all cases the test name (sorted test#1, test#2, test#3, etc). Ultimately I want to get all the rows together (about 11,000 rows) so I can resort by test number (ie 440 test#1's grouped together, 440 test#2's grouped together and so forth). Does this need to involve 440 manual copy & pastes, or is there an easier way?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide

I would say very carefully and with a lot of patience.

OK, joking aside, you will need to write or get someone to write a macro. Hopefully, the filenames are similar.

Member AAA - Abolish Abused Abbreviations

Each of the 440 excel files is named after the division to which it refers. there is very little similarity between one file's name and anothers

Hi,

Well, the horse is out of the barn.

Short answer: Open Copy 'n' Paste

Medium Ansswer: You'll need some fancy VBA code to access all the workbooks, to assmeble in one workbook.

Long Answer: Your basic method is severely flawed, as demonstarted by the predicament you find youself in. ALL your data ought to be in a single DATABASE. It could be as simple as a single, well designed table (sheet) in a workbook -- ONE TABLE.

So whatever path you take, your data ought to end up in ONE SHEET in a table that includes a NEW column to distinguish the source.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red]Be Advised![/red] The only distinction between a bird with one wing and a bird with two, is merely...
a difference of A Pinion! [tongue][/sub]

An associate at work got back to me with another solution, and it looks like it works perfect. A utility that seems to fit the bill

Thanks for your help folks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back