Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I make the colors appear the same as my screen/print out

Status
Not open for further replies.

jennifersakai

Technical User
Apr 11, 2007
CA
I am working on a document that has 4 colors (Red, Blue, Gradient Yellow, and Black). I have a background layer of Red, and I have a layer of Gradient Yellow on top of it. Also I am using the same Red that is underneath the Yellow for a text on top of it. I also have a blue and black text on top of the yellow.

I also have CMYK images sitting on top of the yellow gradient.

I have chosen colors that are either from the colors palette or that I created or chosen(process colors and Pantone colors).

Will my colors mix together and create a different color from what I see on my print out/screen?

Currently the file is in CMYK saved in .ai. and eventually it will be saved in PDF.

Taking into all these colors that I am using, I want to know what other steps should I take to make sure that the colors I see on the screen (or my print out using a Dell laser printer)appear the same when I print 3,000 copies at a Professional Print shop.

...color is a very difficult area to answer in one post, the only simple answer is to employ color management, you will find jumping into color management a real can of worms to say the least...

...printing color is very different to viewing color on a monitor, the first steps to color management are profiling your devices, your monitor, your printer, your scanner. These areas are just a small part of a color managed workflow, the other part is the printing press you are going to print on...

...no two printing presses produce color the same, this is important to remember, the same is true for printers and monitors. These elements are physical devices subject to physical and environmental influences that effect the end result...

...on a laser printer you will unlikely, if at all possible, to match a printing presses characteristics, you might come close, but this is all dependant on the profiling quality and accuracy. Not only the fact that the inks use different pigments, but also the issue of the paper stock used to print the final piece...

...it is advised you talk to your output provider to see if they can guide you with color management issues, such as providing profiles for the presses they have and on certain types of paper, coated or uncoated...

...pantone colors are a different area to deal with as opposed to cmyk printing. It is recommended you invest in a pantone color guide to visualize how pantones can be reproduced, viewing pantone colors on a monitor is far from accurate. Achieving pantone colors in cmyk can be achieved with some pantones but not all...

...so many variables in print that when you delve into this game you begin to realize how difficult color can be to deal with...

...It is advisable to stick to pantone color swatches where possible, printing these in cmyk isn't always achieveable though and digital proofers often struggle to reproduce pantones. Pantone (the company) have been changing cmyk splits of pantone colors for years now. Pantone books fade over time, pantone inks printed on different paper stocks look different and on top of all that, one printer printing in a certain pantone may end up with a slightly different result because the actual pantone books themselves aren't that consistent...

...always advisable to to get a match proof from your print provider before commiting to press, get a result you are happy to sign off...

...your print provider needs some kind of target to go by. Some jobs we have matched as best we can to are actual client ink jet proofs...

...color management is a big and often daunting area for many, the print provider will at least have a proofing device that can mimmick the printing press they use...

...some clients, with the cash, sometimes opt for wet proofs that are actually printed on the press using the actual paper, these clients however are few and far between due to huge set up costs involved...

...color management has come along way over the years, it might seem like magic but believe me, it is a huge area to deal with. Without sound investment in high quality profiling equipment producing accurate profiles, if the profiles aren't good, you can end up chasing your tail...

...on it's own a profile doesn't do much, it really does something when a conversion takes place from a source profile to a destination profile...

...in short, if you have an image from a scanner in rgb or a camera in rgb, the scanner or camera rgb profile is the source and is then converted to the press profile (cmyk) as the destination...

...for you to then print this converted image to an RGB laser printer, the source profile is the press profile, the destination is the RGB laser printer profile...

...generic profiles are ok if the device is stable, such as some inkjet printer profiles, however monitors such as CRT's are unstable devices that change from one unit to another and also over time, generic monitor profiles are useless really...

...profiles are essentially a snapshot in time of how a device behaves, if the device changes over time then the profile then becomes less accurate, meaning updating profiles is required, this is known as device drift...

..this page has many useful links about color management...

Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back