Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do i make the background transparent? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

T4a

Technical User
Jun 20, 2003
GB
Hi, Im only been using Photoshop 4 1 week now and i need some help pls.

I have a picture of an item of jewellery on a white background. I want to add my own background to the item. I have used the magic wand to cut away the white background only to find a light blue background underneath. How do i set up photoshop to display a transparent background after i cut away the original white background so i can cut away the item of jewellery to past it on to my own background?

When i check the properties for the layer i can see the following settings:

Name:layer 0
Color:None
Mode:Normal
Opacity:100%

Can some 1 pls translate these settings?

Use the pen tool to create a clipping path around the image this does a better job then the magic wand, you can create a path make it a selection then drag it over to the new background.
Don't know how to use the pen tool? go to-
copy to your clipboard paste into photoshop and try it out.

Thom

Life without challenges can be very boring

Hi,

I assume that when you have opened your image, it is on one layer - "Background".

1) Duplicate the layer (make a "Background Copy" layer).

2) Hide this new layer (click the eye icon).

2) Highlight the Background Layer.

3) Select all, delete.

4) Put the desired background colour onto this layer.

5) Select layer with your image on it

6) Delete the unwanted background colour in your image.

Leaving your jewellery on its new background.

Matthew

when u start making images --file--new and then set it to "transparent" or what other people here(mattblack) said if u already have an image
all the best!

thx guys, im not quit ready for the pen tools, i just made a mess but thx ill try to play around with it another time.

Matt thx i managed to achieve sutable results with your tip

Hi,

I would go around the image and use quick mask to make a selection around the jewellery and then get out of quick mask mode and press delete.

However when you work with something as fidely as this you may want to consider using channels to get your selection.

Goto the channels palette WINDOW > SHOW CHANNELS and then you can choose from 3 different channels (RGB mode) Click each one and determine which one gives you the best contrast between the jewellery and the white background. You want the background to be as white as possible and the jewellery to be darker. Once you have determined which channel has the best contrast duplicate it by dragging it down over the duplicate icon on the channels palette (next to the trash icon). With the copy of the channel selected goto IMAGE > ADJUSTMENTS > Brightness/Contrast and play around with that so that you keep the background white and turn the jewellery black or close to black without making the edges pixelated (boost the contrast but not to 100%). Then you will want to zoom in on that channel and any spots or patches that aren't fully black on the jewellery you will want to paint black with the paintbrush. Once you have a white background with a perfect image on top that is fully black goto SELECT > LOAD SELECTION then click on the top channel (RGB) and then return to the layers palette and then highlight the jewellery layer and press delete and now you should have perfectly deleted the white from the background of the image.

Hope this helps!

Nate

mainframe.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back