Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I Make right mouse click act like left 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhaff

Technical User
Jan 31, 2003
US
In Win98, I understand that I can change the mouse from left handed to right. What I want to do is change the mouse so that both buttons act like a left click. The problem is this, my Grandfather(80+ yrs old) uses his computer for one thing, chess. He broke his hand last year and now has problems with coordination. When he is playing chess, he sometimes accidentally clicks the right button, bringing up the context menu. This frustrates him very much. He doesn't care to hear an explanation of the context menu.

Anyway, I can't change it in the control panel, it is just a "Trakker" brand mouse. I was wondering if there was a registry value I could change. I know that I could buy a logitech and map the buttons, but he is 500 miles away and I would at least like a short term fix that I can explain to someone over the phone.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Will that work with a non-microsoft mouse. Again the mouse brand is "Trekker". I'm sorry, is said "Trakker" in my initial post.

Thanks for the input.

I think it will, because most mice emulate the Microsoft standard. The only thing you have to be careful of is that you can access the properties menu when there is a need to do so via the keyboard button, assuming he has a keyboard with Windows keys.

John

I'll give it a shot. Thanks. Now I just have to put my hands on intllimouse software.

It can be downloaded from the Microsoft link in my earlier post.

John

What does this mean? "The only thing you have to be careful of is that you can access the properties menu when there is a need to do so via the keyboard button, assuming he has a keyboard with Windows keys." Do you mean when you hit the Windows key and then the Start menu opens, or do you mean something else? I'm unable to change the button functions on a generic mouse when Intellipoint 2.0 is installed and I don't know why. The choice is there (it's not grayed out), but it doesn't take hold with the generic mouse.

For a crude-but-obvious solution, how about buying a 2nd mouse just for Grandpa, and disabling the right button by gluing it up or removing the switch?

Also, a trackball may be easier than a mouse. I used a trackball for my kids when they were young (3-5) before their fine motor coordination developed. Get one with a big ball and big buttons.

Howard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back