Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I make my Webserver a DNS server too ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

afgs

Technical User
Apr 19, 2002
GB
I have a Linux server running SuSE 8.1 that has two NIC's on internal one connected on the router to the internet.

I'm running the firewall, and everyone on my internal network using the internal address of my Linux server as their gateway can see the internet. However I have to use another server on my network (Windows 2000 unfortunately) as the DNS Server.

Can I use the same Linux server that is their gateway for their DNS server aswell ? Or do I always have to use a separate server.

Ty

You can. Set up you DNS server (the Linux one) as a caching name serevr (it is by default only caching).

Depending on distro, you probably just have to enable the DNS service somewhere.

Cheers Henrik Morsing
Certified AIX 4.3 Systems Administration
& p690 Technical Support

Thank you, what I ended up doing was

/etc/init.d/named start

and it works.

Checked the config file in /etc/named.conf and there doesn't seem to be much that needs modifying except for my own future domains.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back