Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I make C++/Java Programs use the Windows API?

Status
Not open for further replies.

archer007

Technical User
Jun 18, 2008
GB
I want to design an app that uses the Windows API. However, I am not sure how to make an application that uses the Windows API. The "API" part seems to suggest that I don't have to use Visual Studio, but that sounds too uncomplicated for Microsoft.

Would downloading Eclipse and then downloading the newest Windows API docs be sufficient? I know how to program, but I'm not sure what apps I need.

the windows API is nothing more than a set of operating system functions. While you can use the API from any programming language (that supports it) you like. But you still need a compiler/linker to make the application. Eclipse is nothing more than an editor for the code.
Anyway, C is the most natural language for using the API (windows codebase is also written in C).
There are some free C/C++ compilers out there (
Cheers,
/Daddy

-----------------------------------------------------
What You See Is What You Get
Never underestimate tha powah of tha google!

You'd better focus on the requirements of your app, than on some bogus requirement of 'using the Windows API'. The windows api is used by any tool deployed on Windows, either directly, or by using some framework and its available functionality, being that Java, C# or any language and whatever runtime (jre, .NET CLR) it needs.

You could write yoru code in any editor that can save as plain ascii text files, but you would need a compiler to turn the code into CPU-understandable bytes. That can be C or C++, as Daddy suggested, or any language you know or like best, you just need a fitting compiler or interpreter.

HTH
TonHu

Thge whole point of using Java in the first place is to be OS independent. Java uses an intermediate API that acts as a go-between for the application you develop and the particular operating system it is running on, thereby allowing the same code to run on Windows, UNIX/LINUX or Apple OSx. By using a Windows system call, you break that ability. Not a good idea, IMHO, and not even sure it is possible. (I don't program in JAVA, in case you are wondering)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back