Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how do i make boot time fast (windows 98se)

Status
Not open for further replies.

suleayinla

Technical User
May 2, 2002
When my win98se is booting, i get a blank screen after the window logo. This takes about 8 seconds before the desktop is displayed, but I don't have this with Dell machines. How can I change this. Any help will be appreciated.

Sule

Is this not dependant on what software you have on your system?
A new (windows only) install will load much quicker than one with loads of software installed.

Thank you all. I will make a reinstall. I look forward to this solving the problem.

Sule

check the autoexec.bat and config.sys and empty them out. also defragging can help. really 8 seconds isnt that bad of a load time...

FatesWebb

if you do what I suggested it is not my fault...

this may be a daft question but you said the "dell pcs boot faster" is there a difference in spec i.e. the dell pcs are they newer than yours? Things to bare in mind the longer a PC has been up and running i.e. software installed removed 9/10 software removals don't remove all registry entries the pc will become slugish registry grows and grows. As fateswebb said always good to do a defrag especially if one hasn't been done (may take some time) check the temp folder and empty check space on drives. Things to improve performance

Bit rusty been a long time since win98 here goes right click on my computer goto performance... filesystem.. Hard Drive change role to network server next tab floppy uncheck scan for new floppy drives at boot up.. next enable write behind caching for removable media. Run system configuration utility goto startup and uncheck unessecary startup items sometimes there are duplicates in here be wary of what you uncheck.... Njoy!

"Paranoia is reality on a finer scale...."

The thing that slows 98se boot time down the most prior to the desktop showing is network initialisation. You could try booting without the NIC and see if it improves things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back