Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I log user activity ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcbrohuss

MIS
Aug 13, 2001
US
How do I log user activity such as login time etc. ? Is that possible without puchasing add-on packages?

I don't know of any built in method....We use a product called NetIQ. It can track all sorts of stuff on NT, TS, Citrix, Exchange, SQL, etc servers.

I agree that there is no built in method. NETIQ is an expensive solution. I implemeted it at my last location. High learning curve and does more than what you're probably looking for. There are simpler solutions. We do it with a combination of a command/batch file that we use to execute all of our published applications and a PERL program that captures the data to a file. I'm sure that you could do this by simply using a batch file. Values such as user id, server name and system time can all be accessed via batch. Give it a try. There's much you can learn in putting this together. Remember, PERL is very powerful. You can do a lot with it. -- Devil Dog --

There is no built in way of doing this to my knowledge.

We use an add-on ourselves called script logic. This not only allows for some tight control over log on scripts (and log off with the new version) but also logs user logons and other deatils you can select 14 items to log.

To watch login times you can setup some simple auditing (It is free and native to NT and NT Term Srvs). Search MS Support docs for information on enabling auditing for complete instructions. As far as a third party product try Rippletech' s Logcaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back