Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I list all attributes for chdev

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeeHagen

IS-IT--Management
Sep 20, 2002
US
How can I find all the possible attributes for a device such as a disk which can be changed by the chdev command. Lsattr seems to display only some of the attributes. For example I know that I can use the command chdev -l vpath0 -a pv=clear but I can't find a listing of what this command means and what other options are available.

Regards,
Dave

Have you looked at "man chdev" ?

The "-l" flag is used to indicate the name of the device you are working with, the "-a" flag is used to identify the attribute you wish to change to whatever value.

Example:
To change the retention instructions of a 150M-byte, .25-inch tape drive to rmt0 (so that the drive does not move the tape to the beginning, then to the end, and then back to the beginning each time a tape is inserted or the drive is powered on), enter:

chdev -l rmt0 -a ret=no

The system displays a message similar to the following:

rmt0 changed
Meekness: Uncommon patience in planning a revenge that is worth while.
-- Ambrose Bierce

What I'm looking for is how do I find the appropriate attributes for each device such as pv=clear, ret=no, block_size=1024 etc?

Thanks,

Dave

Hi,

I have not the right answer to your question, but try
use smit and befor or after the change, see by F6 the
commad that smit give.

In lsattr output there is a fild (the last)
that tells you if the attribute is user-settable
(TRUE or FALSE)

bye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back