Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I limit the growth of a JFS filesystem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronfogg

Technical User
Oct 19, 2001
US
Hi:

I need to limit the growth of my '/var' filesystem on an AIX server running 4.3.3. I am unable to schedule the downtime to reorvg the ROOTVG at this time, and am unable as well to expand the filesystem any more. But I must limit it's expansion to keep it from filling up. Any ideas out there?

Thanks

Hi,
if I understand you right, your /var is filling up and you do not know why. If this is the case, check the following places in var:
/var/adm/wtmp
/var/adm/sulog
/var/tmp/snmpd.log
/var/tmp/dpid.log
/var/spool/mail/ - check who is getting large mails

or if none is your case, then just run:
cd /var
du -sk *
...and pick up your "guilty" directories and clean up.

Check this thread: thread52-68802. There several answers in there the suggestions on how to clean up /var. Running du -sk * | sort -n will sort the output so the largest are at the bottom of the list.

For 'ademeter'

Thanks, But I had already checked all of that out. Utilization for '/var/spool', and '/var/docsearch' are the highest, but that is what I expected. I did locate a couple of mail users, and am pruning their files daily by script. What I need though, and thought I remembered from school; is a way to limit the maximum size of a filesystem. The scenario would be: Create a filesystem of X size, and set a limit on it whereby it could only grow to x% - say 90%, or 95% of it's set filesystem size. I think there also is a way for SendMail to alert on this at specified levels.

You can set the max message size in /etc/sendmail.cf
# maximum message size
#O MaxMessageSize=1000000

Also you can set the minimum number of free blocks on the filesystem to a larger value and then sendmail will stop receiving more
# minimum number of free blocks on filesystem
O MinFreeBlocks=100

Or create a separate filesystem for /var/spool/mail and then it won't hurt anything else. You can also do this with your print spool directory.

try changing the properties of the logical volume that corresponds to /var filesystem. By default the maximum partitios for this lv is 512....and you can restrict this to control the filesystem abnormal growth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back