Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how do i kill web services on Aura Messaging app servers for testing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

learningSkype

IS-IT--Management
Jun 6, 2016
US
hi all, i'm testing a new alert on some of our dev servers and need to terminate the web service on AAM. does anyone know how to do this from the CLI since i don't see an option via the web portal? i think it's the tomcat service as well as the apache service. thanks.

which web service are you talking about ? The Web client or the admin interface ?

Ken Means

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."
- Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

You can't/don't/everything on AAM is done via web services - including the app servers integration to the back end storage servers.

You/we are not given access to kill portions of that.

If you're really interested, maybe nmap or portscan with messaging stopped. I have no idea how many httpds or tomcats run on the thing. There's at least one for the admin interface that you can stop and start messaging from. That web server on port 443 would have to be different from the web services that run the app level integrations between the servers.

What are your alarm guys doing? Just doing a check on https:443 and open a ticket if no response? I'm not a fan of that. It's such a server-centric way of looking at things - like you built this application server yourself and they're doing you a favour to make sure tomcat's running.

Every MM/AAM I've ever seen that can't start still always listened on port 443 for me to log in to the admin webpage to find out I'm in deep trouble.

They'd be doing you a bigger favour if they could test a TLS handshake on port 5061 to at least prove the SIP interface is up.

If you use the CLI you should be able to kill the Tomcat service but are you just trying to get an alarm if that service dies ?

Ken Means

ok Ken, but how do i kill Tomcat from the CLI? that's not something that's just posted for everyone to see.

as for your question, yes. the plan is to kill the service and our SNMP will see it go down, then generate an alert that creates a ticket, etc. etc.

In order to find tomcat PID run:
ps -ef | grep tomcat
then use
kill -9 PID

If you don't know the CLI you may not want to mess with it on a production system

Ken Means

If tomcats not running then the website is down

Ken Means

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back