Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do i kill items loading at startup??? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

wncads

Vendor
Nov 1, 1999
US
In win 98 there was msconfig that allowed you to kill certain things from loading at startup.... how do i selectively stop things from loading in win 2000 pro..??? thanks for your help.... Keith Buchanan
AplusNetworking.com
keith@aplusnetworking.com

System Mechanic at iolo.com is an excellent product for controlling start-up programs GF

There is another way!! It involves registry editor. There are 2 places.

1. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

2.HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

The second one will probably be of more use. If you are unsure about this procedure, read the following MS article
Q281770. There is a lot of stuff in here but you will see the registry info I am talking about. I generally rightclick the appropriate key that has the unwanted startup program described in it and choose "DELETE".

EG one of my keys has the following info in the TYPE column.

E:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\realplay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER

I would right click the REALTRAY word in the NAME column and choose "DELETE". Have a poke around first and you will see what I mean.

This is a pain isn't it.
Problem is, every time you load a program it may throw something in your startup.
I will assume you have cleared your Startup folder of any unwanted programs.
James makes a great suggestion above, but if you are anything like me, I am to lazy to edit my registry this way (may God bless those with the patience to do so).
Go to and download RegCleaner. It is he best program I have ever used to tidy up the registry.There is a tab specifically for "Startup" that allows you to browse everything that loads when you boot up. Remove everything you don't need or recognize. I leave Nav Agent for anti virus and a few others.

Good luck
zRock

There is a copy of msconfig for windows 2000 on the Microsft Site I have it and it works fine just do a search for mscongig 2000 it is only about 124k. Pity I can't attach it here

Hey JamesBoag,

You missed one. Things also get loaded in

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices

I'd also recommend making a backup of the registry, so if something goes wrong you can undo your change

Hello,

Here are some tips.

Complete List of Windows Startup locations:

FREE Start-up Manager

Notification of programs trying to trigger on startup:

These are some good resources, probably some of the best I have come across

Good Luck in your endeavors

bpvlogo.gif

mysig_small1.gif

Brian Velkavrh
Sr. Consultant - BPV Webdesigns
Network+ Certified Engineer

There are also RunServices keys in the same location that JamesBoag pointed out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back