Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How Do I Install A Driver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsynic

MIS
Jun 17, 2003
I'm installing a new backup tape unit and I need to install the driver. What steps do I need to take in order to do this? Do I go to product install? I need step-by-step instructions please.

Hello, a couple of issues first off. Most modern Netware approved drives dont need extra drivers installing. What version of netware are you using as this will decide the type of driver that is needed and what make and model is the drive itself so you can cross ref it in the device drivers list ? If you have a drive with specific netware drivers then you would need to copy the drivers to your netware bootup dir on the C: drive of your server. (usually c:\nwserver or nwserver\drivers).

I'm installing an HP DAT24 tape drive on a Netware 5.1 server SP7. The old DAT drive failed and so I'm replacing it. I don't know if it uses the same driver or not, they are both from Compaq/HP. Do I have to go to nwconfig and load the drivers from the CDROM? If I do, how do I switch to the CD-ROM.

Install the drive. Boot to Netware. If the drive is the same it will not know the diference. When the server is up and finished loading, goto nwconfig > driver options > config disk and storage > discover and load additional drivers. (or at the console type SCAN FOR NEW DEVICES then LIST DEVICES and see if its in the list. You may wish to compare the drive settings (ie SCSI number and set it accordingly so that you dont need to adjust your backup software as well.) if you need to get the drivers from cd let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back