Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I implement "INCLUDETEXT" 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomas3601

Technical User
Jun 3, 2013
I have been through the forums looking for the “right” answer to my query, but I have yet to find it, so here is my situation.

I am working on creating a master document/series of documents that I can refer to utilizing “INCLUDETEXT”. I have a few websites that I have bookmarked for their reference, but I am not getting the response from the document that I am after. When I create my “INCLUDETEXT” statement, I either get a blank response after hitting Alt+F9 or more recently I get “Document 1” as the response. The information I am trying to display is NOT “Document 1”.
My statement reads

{ INCLUDETEXT "C:\(Filepath)\How to Change On-Call Forwarding.docx" }

Once document I read on this even suggested putting “Summary” behind [How to Change On-Call Forwarding.docx"] to read { INCLUDETEXT "C:\(Filepath)\How to Change On-Call Forwarding.docx" Summary }. Either way I do this, I am now only receiving the report “Document 1” when I hit Alt+F9.

Do I need to bookmark my original document(s) before I try creating the link or do I just need to have the document(s) created period? I say “document(s)” because we will have multiple links per page since we are repeating a lot of information per task, so instead of copy/paste the same information in each document that may later change. It is easier to copy/paste once per document in the event we have 35 docs that hold the same initial information that can change; then the change is made on the parent doc and populated to the children docs as they are used.

Additionally, I have been reading through the different postings in the forums looking for the “right” answer for my issue. I noticed in one posting macropod posted a macro to update and unlock fields from the parent source to the child document. This macro is:

Sub AutoNew()
ActiveDocument.Fields.Update
ActiveDocument.Fields.Unlink
End Sub

What if I wanted the child document to update every time it is opened? Would I just leave this out or would I omit the second “active” line?

Much appreciated,
Tom

The easiest way to create an INCLUDETEXT link is to do it via Insert|Object>Text from File.

FWIW, your INCLUDETEXT field is malformed; it should be: { INCLUDETEXT "C:\\(Filepath)\\How to Change On-Call Forwarding.docx" } (ie with double backslashes for all the path separators).

Your field with 'Summary' in it would only be applicable if you are trying to retrieve only the range from the source document defined by a bookmark in it named 'Summary'.

The macro you referred to is only applicable if you want to break the INCLUDETEXT links (i.e. prevent future updates). You shouldn't need a macro to have the links update automatically - just set Word's 'Update Automatic links at Open' option.

Cheers
Paul Edstein
[MS MVP - Word]

Thank you. I will get with the boss on this and see what we can throw together on a grand scale.

ok, heres another for ya. im attaching documents saved to a "closet" online with a url. I have the majority of it but am completing the line/address and getting a blank sheet when I hit alt+F9.
the format on this one is with forward slashes instead of backward slashes. do I still run with two // between locations or since its a url do I kock it down to 1 /?

http: //~/alfresco/~/documentLibrary/(specific path within alfresco).docx
or
http: //~//alfresco//~//documentLibrary//(specific path within alfresco).docx

or would I keep to the double backslashes vs the forward slashes?
path within alfresco).docx

I'm not even sure you can reference a URL via an INCLUDETEXT field. That said, INCLUDETEXT fields can work with forward slashes; other than those that are part of the actual http:// reference, single forward slashes should suffice (they can even be used in ordinary INCLUDETEXT field references instead of the double backslashes).

Cheers
Paul Edstein
[MS MVP - Word]

The problem I am running in to is that I have the documents on my computer that I will need to access in order to build the multitude of documents as needed. As you know, it would be easier to use these few specific documents to build a mass amount that will repeatedly use the same information, and should the day come that one or two lines in that mass needs to be edited, it will be easier to edit one document and have the rest update to that information as opposed to updating the masses.
I can create these documents from my system, but if I happen to leave the company, they are on my system, under my profile (not that it would be hard to retrieve them). Under that situation, I am the only one able to access and create form those documents as opposed to having them in a centralized location with access from any terminal in the company. This is where alfresco comes in. its our “online closet” with access from any terminal, any profile. I can create the point documents and my coworkers can follow me and assemble them to fit a specific need, as needed.

How would you suggest I move forward from here, other than mapping the hard drive?

I can't really help you with how you might go about ensuring access in your situation. Being retired, I don't really have access to such a network to play with ...

That said, if the documents need to be accessed as a group, I'd suggest keeping them that way in a zip archive for download and extraction. With relative field paths (see it won't matter what folder they're in.

Cheers
Paul Edstein
[MS MVP - Word]

I appreciate your time in this matter. I have been tinkering while I can between posts and situation updates here (midnight/morning shift), will see what else I can find out by just being a guy (break it and fix it).

thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back