Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I implement auto incrementing date in Excel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

haemphyst

IS-IT--Management
Dec 2, 2003
US
Sorry for this question... I am a hardware and network guy, not an apps guy.

I need to build a spreadsheet, where the far left column is the date. I can fugure out all of the rest of the formulae I need, but what I cannot grasp is this: When the user reaches the last cell in the line, I would like them to just be able to hit enter, the cursor moves to the second cell of the next line, and the first cell auto fills the present date and time, as well as a second column with a "Receipt Number" that will increment one number at a time. Any suggestions? or is this going to be something I'll have to do in Access? (I hate Access).

Access also will probably not do, because they will occasionally need to print out the complete list of updates as they were entered, for audit purposes. This is why I chose Excel. I am willing to move the columns around in the spreadsheet, if it makes thing easier to do.

e-mail me at ddraper at igalaxy dot net

Hi,

This is a VBA question, so maybe you ought to post in forum707.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red]Be advised:[/red] The dyslexic, agnostic, insomniac, lays awake all night wondering...
"Is there really a DOG?" [tongue][/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back