Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how do i identify what analog lines i can cancel as abandoned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 18, 2016
US
I inherited a mess of analog lines that are not identified as what the purpose of them are or if they are still being used. the monthly bill is huge, so i have been tasked with identifying and removing whatever is no longer being used....the only problem is how do i do that? the assorted vendors have sent me the address the line(s) are installed at but no additional information and say they have none to offer (like usage). any ack tone i got by calling the line i sent a fax to the number to ask for a response back, which i got a few. all the rest are ring no answer do i have to go to each site? and once there what do i do? use a buttset? use a wand? bring a 2500 set and plug it into every empty jack? I am concerned with disconnecting elevator phones and any numbers that may be used for emergencies and the buildings are pretty big that i am talking about....i know how to trace from the jack to the frame but what about in reverse what is the best way to do this??? thanks for any and all info

Ellen

I did something like this a long time ago. This company had A LOT of POTS lines. I got an inventory from the carrier. I went to each address with my butt set and followed the line from the dmark to the MDF, to IDF, to the station cable and finally to the jack. In most cases, there was nothing connected at the jack. I did this over and over again until completed. I ended up reducing costs by $100K annually. It was time consuming and tedious but worked out just fine. There were several instances where I couldn't find the number on the dmark so I had to order a tag and locate.

See if the telco can give you usage info on the lines. I'm in the same boat, I've got about 200 Centrex lines left that I need to identify and then either migrate to SIP extensions via ATA's off my PBX or disconnect sometime in the next year (building remodel requires moving the legacy demarc room, I'm guessing the telco isn't going to want to move Centrex lines to a new demarc).

Be careful when checking usage
there may be one dedicated to remote access by your maintainer that is never used for outgoing calls.
we had a large multi-site company do this & it caused them considerable expense when the found they needed engineer visits to what would previously have been a simple remote fix.

Do things on the cheap & it will cost you dear

ACSS

I would say first set, get a list of the numbers. Second, call each one. Record results. Ring/no answer, busy. answered.
Answered by human, ask who and where.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back