Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I identify a computer that has no identification

Status
Not open for further replies.

diodepat

Technical User
Apr 23, 2000
US
I was given a used computer. The owner had tried to reformat the hard drive without a clue and without a boot up disk! I have tried to boot up with a Packard Bell, and a Compaq boot up disk to no avail. The Packard Bell won't even acknowledge the CD drive. And the Compaq wants some partitions installed. I tried the 'fdisk' and now it says there is no fixed disk. Anyone know what I can try next?

Is the PC a clone or does it have a brand name (ie. Packard Bell, Dell, Compaq, IBM, etc.)?

RMG.

I would make my own boot disk by copying IO.SYS, MSDOS.SYS,
COMMAND.COM and a DOS directory with at least Fdisk, Xcopy in it. When you ran fdisk did you use the correct path etc. at c:\fdisk will not work if you booted on a floppy a:\dos\fdisk? Also to get the CD-ROM you need Config.sys and Autoexec.bat with the mscdex.exe command line in it

alcoranna

RMS...No all identification has been removed. Previous owner said it had been upgraded. Although I can't see why the need to remove all identification from the back of the computer. The monitor is Compaq

I have a utility that I can provide you if you email me.

If the computer is relatively new, this utility will identify the mfg and model..along with the serial number and version of Rom if supported.

I wrote this utility some time ago and it supports any PC's that follow the SMBios/PnP Bios standards.

#1. The "brand name" is not important!

#2. You can't fdisk from C: only from A:

#3. You didn't say if this is an ancient (386 - early Pentium) or what size the hard drive is. Take the cover off and look inside there is usually an indication on the processor chip (the big one) and model numbers on the side of the drive.

(#3 will determine which operating system your machine will be able to run.)

What you need is a boot disk from a Win95 or Win98 machine. The Win98SE disk will have CD support. You can create one from any working machine, just go to the control panel:add/remove programs:then the boot disk tab.

Insert the disk into your machine and it should boot to A:\. If it doesn't,you will need to go to the BIOS setup and select A: as the "boot from" drive. Also while there load the default or safe settings, there should be a button on the main setup screen.

Type fdisk from the command line and delete all partitions, then make a new partition usin all the available space.

Use xcopy to copy the WinXX folder to your hard drive and run setup from there.

Hope this helps,
--Steven
mailto:hydrotek@pcgeek.net

HydroTek had forgoten to mention that the HD may be set at Master instead of Slave drive this would diffinately cause problems.

If the drive is fairly new, it should have jumpers and/or maybe instructions on the top of it to change it to Slave.

By changing NEW drive to slave it allows you to copy from HD to HD without diskettes, plus it's faster if you're going to copy Windows directory.

From what I can gather from all this, is that just the Harddrive has been wiped. Right!!

System information really is not an issue at the present. Getting the system back online is. First of all the drive needs to be formated. For this HydroTek is right by saying you need a Win98 Boot Disc with CD Support.

Now should the BIOS be intact you should go through the POST and then it will stop when the system goes looking for an OP System. It should show either an HDD (80) or NON Active Partition Present. If you get to this then you are still in business.

#1 Insert the Win 98 Boot disc and reboot the system.

#2 Form here you will be presented with the start menu table. Choose the one with CD Support and press enter.

#3 Insert the Win 95 or 98 CD and run setup from the Win 95 or 98 folder.

#4 The system will now run it's diagnostics and then ask you to partition the drive.
Run FDISK and set the Partition to Active and then format.

#5 The setup will then continue the installation of the OP System. The system information will also be displayed as it is brought online.

It is a good idea to note all these down as they come up, or you can wait until the setup is complete. Then go to Device Manager either off the Control Panel Systems Icon or by My Computer Properites.

I hope this is of help to you.

[sig]<p>Steven Walker<br><a href=mailto:strider@paradise.net.nz>strider@paradise.net.nz</a><br><a href= > </a><br>Brainbench MVP Computer Technician[/sig]

Some compac P.C's have a cmos setting utility and system partion on the hard drive that the computer hides from the user . To find the computer type get the bios chip identity off the chip by opening the p.c and looking at the motherboard then search on the internet using the identity . The setup utility can be downloaded from compaq on the internet if you know the type of compaq you have. If the hard drive doesn't have the cmos settings on the compaq system partion it won't find the hard drive as the motherboard accesses the system partion on the hard drive to find out the type and setting of the hard drive . I have come across this problem with a compaq deskpro 200 pc it may be what you are facing here . [sig][/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back