Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I have an option whether to send return receipt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mouno

MIS
Feb 11, 2002
JP
Sometimes I don't want to send out return receipts (e.g. against junk mails) when I opened emails. Is this possible?

It is very much possible!

Two ways:

1/ Server side
To avoid junk mail: configure your server to not sent return receipts. This is done in the configuration document of the server (R5&R6)

Now your system will only sent return receipts to Lotus Notes users on your own system. Mails coming from outside will never generate a return receipt.

2/Client side
Use the preview window to read your e-mails instead of opening them. This will not trigger the return receipt unless you activated that in the user preferences of your Lotus Notes client.

And option 3: do not open junk mail! ;-)

Kind regards,

Dominik Malfait
dominik@amazingit.com

Not possible unless you take some precautions.
First, I would suggest turning off the "mark read when previewed". This option generates a RR without the need to open the doc.
Second, I would suggest you replicate your mail to your local machine. When you receive any suspect mail (virus or spam or unknown), the replicate your mail and change your location to LOCAL.
This will have for effect to cut your Notes client from the network, effectively severing the possibility to send mail.
When in LOCAL, all mail you send will be stored in a special database called "Outgoing Mail".
You can then open your mail, trash the spam and review suspicious attachments.
ATTENTION : this is NOT a protection against virii. Open an infected attachment and your machine WILL get infected.
But having no link to the server will limit the disaster.
Once you have dealt with all suspicious mails, you can open the Outgoing Mail db and delete any message you do not specifically remember having sent.
Then, switch back to Office and resume normal work.

Actually, I'm fully aware of above methods, but one of our users asked me if she can choose to send or not to send return receipt each time she opens an email.

Also she said she could do like that on Lotus Notes in her former company. According to her, a small dialog used to come up and ask whether to send RR or not when she opened a new mail with RR request.

If above is just her misremember, that's fine with me.

It is quite possible that something like that did happen, but not with the default version of the mail template.
If you want that, you'll have to design it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back