Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I grab the visitor's IP address using JSP pages

Status
Not open for further replies.

survivorjoe

Technical User
Dec 6, 2000
US
Greetings,

I want to redirect site visitors coming from our firewall (IP block beginning with 155.188.) to an internal video to download. However, when I use the following line of code:

String myIP = request.getRemoteAddr();

I get a router IP beginning with 192. Our site is JSP based. Is there something in our hardware configuration that is keeping me from getting the client's IP address instead of a router address? Does anyone have a work-around to this?

Thanks in advance for your help

------------------------------------------------------
- Joe Kamenar
- 70 software packages with resell rights!
- Make fast profits in Real Estate

I use request.getRemoteAddr() and it works fine. I am behind a firewall router which forwards HTTP requests to a certain machine ... so I guess your firewall & or router are configured incorrectly. I would talk to your sys admin !

--------------------------------------------------
Free Database Connection Pooling Software

When I use some of the sites out there like ipchicken.com and others that show your IP, I do see the 155.188.XXX.XXX firewall IP address. What options do I have to be able to do this from our site? We are running weblogic and have a separate web server and application server.

- Joe Kamenar

When you say you only see IP's of 192.* then are you sure that the IP is not 192.* ? If you are testing from within your LAN, then this sounds normal ...

True, but I am going to an external website that is remotely hosted, so the HTTP request still goes through our firewall. For example, here is another site that gives me the 155.188.191.4 IP:

I still can't find anything out there that does this when I put the code on our site and test it.

- Joe

- Joe Kamenar

How the outside world sees your IP and how you see the outside world IPs are separate - and posting "proof" that an external server sees your IP as whatever, does not help.

If I were you, I would talk to your system admins, and at least find out what box the IP address that your are seeing actually is ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back