Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How Do I Get XP to Open Icons to Full Screen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Footnotes

Technical User
Jul 30, 2002
US
When I open an icon from my desktop or for that matter any new screen it opens in the minimized position. Is there some way to get them to open full screen?

Is this all icons or just a particular icon, are they Shortcuts?

If it is just one or two Shortcuts, right-click on the Shortcut icon and look for the options via Properties to open Maximized.

Otherwise, some general things to try.

See if System Restore will get you back to a restore point before your problem with Explorer.

Try Safe Mode (Do you have this problem in Safe Mode?).

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

If they don't work you could try repairing windows by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

Also consider this.

Removing adware & spyware
faq608-4650

Try the free version of "Ewido"

Windows Defender

AutoSizer (freeware).

AutoSizer automatically resizes any window you specify. For instance, some web browsers open up in a non-maximized window. Using AutoSizer, you can set those windows to automatically maximize every time they’re opened. It works with almost any program, including web browsers, Notepad, etc. AutoSizer stays running in the system tray (next to the time), so it stays out of your way while it works.

Right-click the icon, Properties
Under the tab "Shortcut" set the "Run:" value to Maximized.

Linney,
It occurs on all Outlook Express emails and all Internet Explorer windows.

bcastner- I tried right clicking the the icons for Outlook Express and Internet Explorer, but could not find the "Shortcut" tab. I am running XP Home.

Footnotes

Linney's suggestion will work:
AutoSizer (freeware).

AutoSizer automatically resizes any window you specify. For instance, some web browsers open up in a non-maximized window. Using AutoSizer, you can set those windows to automatically maximize every time they’re opened. It works with almost any program, including web browsers, Notepad, etc. AutoSizer stays running in the system tray (next to the time), so it stays out of your way while it works.

The true XP way:

Open say Internet Explorer. With your mouse drag the top, right, bottom, and left borders so that the screen size is as you want. Now go to any page with links on them (such as this one) and open any link as a new page. Again, With your mouse drag the top, right, bottom, and left borders so that the screen size is as you want.

Do not use the Maximize button on top right for this procedure, or the F11 key!

Now go to the original page you opened and close it with File, Exit or Ctrl+X (at top right of screen). Repeat closing the second window with File, Exit or Ctrl-X.

Done.

bcastner,

Thank you, I am a happy camper again. I am a retired network manager and probably should know these things. I share my computer with the wife and sometimes it just does have the same touch and feel when she is done. Not to mention the gobs of spam on her account. That being said, I used the "the true XP" fix and it is back where it was.
Grazie,
Footnotes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back