Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I get the merlin system's Mac Address?

Status
Not open for further replies.

borreramos

IS-IT--Management
Mar 1, 2007
US
I thinking on using that udsip.exe file to set up an static ip address to my merling magix system.
I need to know if this is something I can do and if it is something I can rely on.
Please if you know how to do this please reply.

Thanks in advanced.

Bob Ramos

Merlin Magix doesn't have Ethernet port, hence no MAC address... Or do you mean Merlin Messaging (the voicemail system)?

Mike

You can use a freeware program called Angry IP Scanner and it will show you.

That's right I posted a question in 2007 but didn't really focused on finishing what I started since I'm more of a computer guy and that's what I do for living and If you guys can help me out I will be humble anough to learn what you guys help me with.
Yes, I don't do phone stuff for living but I want to learn.

More Info?

Like you guys definitely know it is expensive to buy the Interactive Northwest Inc. stuff I decided to follow somebody's advice and got me a Digi One SP device to see if I could make it work with a few branches (5) I need to get into sometimes to change calling groups and do some other stuff like labeling.
So, I set the Digi up and I was able to talk to it but I was not successful on talking to the "admin" port (NOT ethernet port (sorry about that))and obviously to the switch.
Is there a special pinout I should be using on the 355AF?

If you guys have the time to help me I will really apreciate it.

Thanks
Bob Ramos

CarGoSky,

If I had feelings they would be hurt by now.:) JK

Thanks
Bob

Thanks ttech
I hope I could see what I'm doing wrong.
I just can't get to that magix using socketSPM.
This is what I keep getting:

Connection Refused!
Please check that the IP address and port are correct and try re-connecting a few times.
If the connection continues to be refused, then someone may already be connected to the Socket Magix device or the device need to be reset by unplugging the power supply.

What do you think?

Let me know

Thanks
Bob Ramos

Well I have not seen the product you describe but perhaps you should take the advise of the unit and power cycle. Unplug the power and plug it back in.

Do you know if it has a static IP address assigned currently?

If the IP address is a duplicate, that could cause an error message like that.

....JIM....

First off I'm not a Computor guy, so I'll try and explain it as I understand it myself.
What I use is the Socket Magix units, I have 33 Merlin Magix at various locations from Martha's Vinyard to Caribou Maine that I administer from my LAB using the Sockets.
The Socket has a MAC ID built in from the factory that is different for each one, you need a static IP address at the location of the Magix to assign in it using a small CD file that comes with it the Socket. The only rub I've found is that you have to be on the "segment" to do this so an actual visit to the site (one time) is reguired. By the "segment" I mean your laptop or computor has to have the same number on the third group of the IP address. 172.32.XXX.10. If you have SPM alread on your computor the Socket Cd file upgrades it to allow you to use the IP set up at the bottom. You enter the Socket IP and port 10001 and your in. I'm available by phone or email but not sure how to get the number to you with out breaking the rules here. Sorry it's so long.

Mike

So then since you have to be on the segment and if you are remote then connecting via vpn should get the job done.

You do not use Socket Magix to get to the Digi-One device.
When you access the site setup in WINSPM choose direct and select the Comm port you setup when installing the Digi-one. If you need to comfirm or make a change on the PC side go to the control panel- device manager look at the multiport serial adapter.
Got about 50 sites works great.
Good luck

43 years in the business and counting.

Memmphisribs,
I got doing what you said to do.... Yessss I'm happy NOW.
I just want to thank averybody.

Here's what I think then..
Well I guess I need to start saying that I work for a 30 branch marble and tile company and we have around 6 Merlin Magix systems the rest of them are Legend.
About our data netwotk We will have no problem talking to the rest of the magix systems becuase we have a Virtual Private Network to all of the branches. (We try to kep it private). so like CarGoSki said having a VPN will do the job right? I can now buy more Digi One SP devices and configure them and send them to the sites.

Papagigo1,
What you are using is a Socket Magix device? so this means you are using a 25 to RJ45 device (? brand) that like you mentioned has a unique Mac Address (Mac address is a 6 double number that can go from numbers "0" to 9 and letters from "a" to "f" ONLY,is was design in HEX code) and from what I understand you need to be on the same network to be able to set it up right?

Well if you have more advices they're welcome, so far so good.

Thanks Guys
Bon Ramos - sorry for the long post

SO happy that I don't know what I meant by saying "I got doing what you said to do" hahaha

Thanks
Bob Ramos

I have a quistion guys.
When an extension can't call out by pressing "9", other than loging into the switch using winSPM or SocketSPM and checking TO SEE IF IT'S RESTRICTED and after verifying that the ext number is not restricted, is there another place I hve to be looking at?
The ext is NOT restricted to outside calls but still can't get that dail out tone.

Thanks
Bob Ramos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back