Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I get the column header from VBA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluByU

IS-IT--Management
Jul 29, 2003
US
I hope this isn't a stupid question, but here goes.

If I know the index number of a column, how do I retrieve in VBA the alphabetic column header name?

Example:

Column 47 of the spreadsheet is "AU". The formulas I need to modify on a worksheet use the format: "=SUM('Master sheet v2.0'!AR14)"
So, I need to change the "AR" in the formula to "AU". Any suggestions on the simplest way to do this?

If I knew that Column index 47 was "AU", the VB code wouldn't be very difficult to write.

Thanks!

columns(index).address will return something like what you want. For instance, columns(2).address will return $B:$B.

Hi,
[tt]
"=SUM('Master sheet v2.0'!AR14)"
[/tt]
can be written in VBA...
Code:
SomeCellObject.Formula = "=SUM('" & Activesheet.Name & "'!" & cells(14, "AU").address(false, false) & ")"

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] When a group touring the Crest Toothpaste factory got caught in a large cooler, headlines read...
Tooth Company Freeze a Crowd! and
Many are Cold, but Few are Frozen![tongue][/sub]

I have to ask, why use SUM on a single cell reference? Anyway, that's beside the point ... use FormulaR1C1 to build formulas using row and column index numbers.

"=SUM('Master sheet v2.0'!$AU$14)"
can be written, in VBA, as:
Code:
SomeCellObject.Formula = "=SUM('Master sheet v2.0'!R14C47)"
Note the C47 denotes column 47.

Cheers, Glenn.

Did you hear about the literalist show-jumper? He broke his nose jumping against the clock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back